HybridZ

My $100 280Z

Ive just been earning money lately. Ive Decided once and for all that I am going to ditch the overly designed RB25 plenum and cross over pipe and go with a front mount full size intercooler and possibly a Greddy plenum or at least a Greddy style one. If things go as planned I am also going to purchase an Apexi FC Commander along with the ECU and everything. Ill update soon on the status of these parts.

• 2 months later...

Its been a hell of a long time since Ive updated and I thought it was time to. Ive been very busy lately with school but the Z has not been sold or forgotten! I picked up the MAF sensor and a few intake components. Im going to do a lot of work and possibly get it streetable on my Winter break. pictures soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I seemed to have misplaced my camera, now I have to resort to using the camera on my phone.

Installed a new fuel pump from Summit Racing.

IMG_0093.jpg

Mocked up the exhaust, "I swear officer it came like that!"

IMG_0094.jpg

I got my MAF finally and bought an adapter from Auto Zone so it slips right onto my air filter.

IMG_0095.jpg

Heres the whole set up installed...

IMG_0096.jpg

Radiator bolted up finally, fits snug.

IMG_0097.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, kinda fell off the map for a bit. Havent been around because of some Army duties. But the good news is that the Z has not been forgotten, ditched or anything of that sort. Put in an order for the exhaust piping and downpipe. Ordering the FMIC and related piping pretty quick. Pics and progress soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some parts. Downpipe, exhaust piping & intercooler kit from McKinney. Put on my muffler and began to mount it. Had to go to work so I dont got everything in. Heres some pictures so far.

DSCN2385.jpg

Not too shabby.

DSCN2386.jpg

Itll look better when its in...

DSCN2387.jpg

Bad picture but thats what it looks like...

DSCN2388.jpg

DSCN2389.jpg

FMIC piping

Exhaust System completely installed.

DSCN2407.jpg

Bought an APEXi Power Intake

DSCN2435.jpg

Installed

DSCN2432.jpg

FMIC Completely installed

DSCN2433.jpg

Bought a Greddy oil filter because I didnt like the fitment of the K&N filter, it seemed to cross thread and didnt fit right in my opinion.

DSCN2437.jpg

Hooked up a fuel filter.

DSCN2443.jpg

Optima battery

DSCN2442.jpg

I dont have too much longer to go, just need to hook up some wires and such, should be starting soon. I am waiting for a friend to get back from vacation so he can help me wire it because Im not really sure what to do.

Heres a vid of the exhaust note. I dont have it registered yet and stuff so I cant really do any speedy runs yet:frown: comment and rate it if you think it sounds good haha.

On a side note, I ordered an Auto Meter Sport Comp in-dash 160mph Speedometer to match my tach, should get here soon. I also put in an order for an HKS SSQV Blow Off Valve, but they are currently on back order from HKS so I have to wait a few weeks which kinda sucks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got my HKS SSQV. Looks great, works great and sounds great:mrgreen: HKS is pretty damn pricey but they sure put out some quality products. Ill put up a vid later of. I also put in my gauges that Ive had for a while and changed out the cigarette lighter in favor of a shift light.

DSCN2460.jpg

DSCN2461.jpg

DSCN2462.jpg

DSCN2466.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I got a Greddy Profec B Spec 2 for the Z and have been tuning it, the car runs a lot better with it. I am going to get the boost up to 10psi, I got the peak boost pressure up to 8.6psi so far.

The Box

DSCN2498.jpg

Heres the head unit installed on the car

DSCN2507.jpg

Ill post more pictures soon and a video soon.

More on the Boost controller...

Here is the solenoid that connects to the wastegate.

DSCN2510.jpg

This is the the vacuum side.

DSCN2511.jpg

Here is a short vid of it operating.

By the way for you guys that have just gotten one of these, MAKE SURE you change it into PSI mode if that is what you want to read or else it will screw you up. If you have one of these controllers or are thinking of getting one don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions in regards to the RB25 installation and programming. I would highly recommend one of these, they are easy to use, install, the directions are in English and easy to understand, its not overly expensive and has performed beautifully so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Got me a Suede Momo course wheel and am cleaning up the interior. I have collected most of the interior panels and such for the interior to make it look clean and hide all the wires and guts. Still need to install a number of them but cant due to a few wiring problems.

DSCN2536.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got her all legal and took her on my first freeway/long distance ride. However I must part with my radiator and fan setup, it failed miserably. Ive got a radiator/fan/shroud kit from Summit Racing in my sights and will have that within a couple of weeks, maybe sooner. Besides the cooling problem she runs great on the highway:mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a while since Ive updated things. I just got a radiator kit from Summit Racing today and it looks like its up to the job of keeping my RB cool. It was a good buy too got a Radiator, Fan, Shroud, Radiator Cap, Thermostat and relay and all the necessary mounting brackets for only $450 bucks. I just have to modify the inlet so that it matches up to the RB set up. A good friend of mine has a Tig welder and extensive knowledge of welding so it shouldn't be a problem.

DSCN2560.jpg

DSCN2561.jpg

DSCN2562.jpg

DSCN2563.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well the radiator sorted out all the cooling issues. I took the car out for a long ride today and it never got into the 190s even in traffic. The performance of the car even felt better and there are zero leaks. I'm very impressed with this from this kit from Summit Racing.

DSCN2564.jpg

DSCN2565.jpg

DSCN2566.jpg

DSCN2568.jpg