HybridZ

Pilot Bearing Install

Greg SmileZ

Has anyone had any difficulty installing a GM pilot roller bearing in their crank? My crank was previously used with an automatic trans so it has never had a pilot bearing installed. It seems very very tight (actually too tight) to get it in. When I have installed them on other cars, they did not seem that difficult to install.

Has anyone else had that problem?

Thanks - Greg SmileZ

Greg, I bought a Moroso roller bearing for my crank (also had an auto tranny originally) and I was advised by the speed shop that the fit would be very tight, use an oil to help facilitate the incertion of the bearing, and never ever use a hammer directly on the unit. They suggested use of a special tool, but an old socket will do very nicely. Other than that, it should fit--this is a genuine GM crank and so it the roller bearing? Otherwise you could always try another brand, like Moroso, to compare tolerances. Word of advice: once you get pounding on the assembly, make sure it's what you want, because once it gets going in there, getting it out is nearly impossible. Good luck.

Davy

Davy,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did have problems getting the pilot bearing out after I hit it too hard and seemed to mess it up slightly.... A racer friend of mine suggested filling the cavity behind the pilot bearing with wheel grease, and with an old input shaft from a transmission give it a pound or two and the hydraulc action will pop the old out out....It worked great!

Spotfitz...have not really gotten that far along since you last saw it. Front brakes are complete, still have to clean and paint the engine compartment and then install everything. Thanks for asking.

Greg SmileZ

quote:

Originally posted by Greg SmileZ:

...I did have problems getting the pilot bearing out after I hit it too hard and seemed to mess it up slightly.... A racer friend of mine suggested filling the cavity behind the pilot bearing with wheel grease, and with an old input shaft from a transmission give it a pound or two and the hydraulic action will pop the old one out....It worked great!

Haha! Neat trick--I'll have to remeber that one! I love learning stuff like that from guys who have been around a while icon_smile.gif

Davy

I've heard of the grease method but have never used it. Instead I use a body man's "Slide Hammer" w/the three claw attachment. Once the claws are adjusted so that all the slack is removed....a few yanks & the pilot bearing is out!

Bought the attatchment from Pep-Boys...just make sure the attachment has the same size threads and diameter as your slide hammer when looking for the appropriate tools.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Ahh, the grease technique... Givin' away the good tricks Davy... icon_smile.gif It works real good, I even surprised a few old mechanics with that one, a bit messy, but it pops them right out.

Regards,

Lone