HybridZ

350 outa a sea craft

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

wellit was rebuilt and ready to go in a boat. never did. i can get it for 500 and was just wondering with it being reversed for the boat setup. with prop running of front of motor. crank and all is the same. are there any problems i would have or can i just turn it around and go from there. also is it ok to over bore and get higher horses out of a 2 bolt. or should you only do it to the stronger 4 bolt.

the marine drive stuff unbolts .marine cams make good mild street cams.the engines are usually built better than a street car engine because boats have only one speed and sometimes are running high rpm for extended periods of time.if the cylinders bores arent rusted it should be fine.try to get a copy of the bill that came from machine shop where it was built.if you do some net surfing on old boat sites you might be able to sell the marine drive and exhaust manifolds for as much as you bought the engine for.if it turns over smooth with a breaker bar on the crank i would buy it.it will probably make a good street engine with a good manifold,carb,& headers.

Guest Anonymous

If its a reverse rotation cam, sell it to a Corvair V8 guy. They use the reverse rotation because of the flipped over transaxle. Just a thought. Nice score if it'll work out.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

so how can i check if it is reverse cam. will i only be able to turn the crank one direction. ??? im pretty sure he said the motor is just turned around and prop run off the crank where the harmonic balancer goes. am i right in thinking then that the motor spins the same way as normal.

Guest Locutus

If you find out if it is a mercruiser or what kind it is and serial numbers would really help. I have a friend who owns a repair facility and has all the books to tell me exactly what it is. I am 99% sure if it is a mercrusier 350 then it is basically a GMC 350 with stronger pistons rings bearings etc to handle constant high rpm use. In fact they are built by GMC and delivered to mercruiser to do final assembly and delivery to the dealers.

Mike

all you have to do is take off the front cover and see if it has a gear to gear timing set.the fords actually have a chain but all the gm's have a direct gear from the crank to the cam.i work for a machine shop and build mostly marine stuff.the will be the same.

Guest Anonymous

As a side note, didn't Mercury (outboards) develope and manufacture the DOHC 4 valve head for the ZL1 (was that it?) corvette, I seem to remember a article saying that Chevy contracted them to build the heads?

Lone

Guest Anonymous

ok guys i got it. i am still letting the grin fade away. i helped a friend build a v8 z once and for last three years has been my dream. It is a normal engine. looked very good. can tell it was rebuilt. i have these number from crank and others if any can tell me is its a mild cam or what any of these numbers mean i would appreciate it.

#its a 4 bolt

#lower part of rear main- (sideways F)3961

and GM 392 under that

#On crank circular thing towards timing chain side. 5583

#on another circular thing is 3932442

#on inside of all pistons 8557

#number on inside head 3917291

under that A2 8

as well as a GM 2

#on block near flywheel area is J272

also a big 31 and a number 3970010

if you understood any of that please let me know