HybridZ

Australian Diffs in Z's

Guest Zpeed

I've got a 76 260z, and i think i do have a r200 in there stock,

zedskid said (on his webpage) that he has a 3.54 r200 that came stock on his 75'260z,

so if i do actaully have a r200 if i find a 4.11 r200 from a s13 silvia, can i just swap it over, it has troubled me alot, i've not found a website or any diffinte information about australian Z cars and what parts they did get from the 280z, becuase we didn't get the 280z here, is stayed the 260z with the L26 and flat top carbs all the way though to 78.

anyone got any straght information about the australian Z cars and what they came with etc... thanks alot

The diff in my '92 240SX (same as the S13) is an R200 with 4.10 gear ratio, BUT, the design is much different than the R200 that came in the Z cars. It is very similar is design to the Z32 diffs in that it is much shorter with different mounting methods.

Terry

thanks for that terry, i'll just get a r200 from a 280zx manual that has a 3.9 open i'll be happy with that, now all i gotta do is find one...

thanks

Guest Anonymous

The way I understand it is that if you get an R200 from a Z you can mount the ring gear and carrier straight from the 240SX to your older R200...giving you a 4:11 ratio. So if you do not have an R200 yet.....go to a you-pull-it yard and swap the carier assembly from older R200 with a 240SX carrier and you will have a bolt in 4:11 R200.

Jake

quote:

Originally posted by Zpeed:

thanks for that terry, i'll just get a r200 from a 280zx manual that has a 3.9 open i'll be happy with that, now all i gotta do is find one...

thanks

Or see if you can't scare up the 4.11 r200 'oldstyle' that was put in a few mid/late 80's 200SXT's. That ones bolt-in practically(wider snap rings is all).

Pardon me if I miss-understood the "swapping of the carrier" post. If it is not obvious to the reader, one may get the impression that a "carrier only" swap is possible between different gear ratios. This is not possible without swapping ring and pinion gears together, and not recommender even with the same ratio due to wear differences between the two cases. Secondly, with the much shorter case of the S13, my guess is that the pinion gear configuration is much different in the S13 diff as opposed to the Z diff, but I may be wrong on this point. Best to get entire case to swap or get a "set" of gears made for that particular case.

Bad thing is we didn't get 200sxt here in aus,

But I have found a source for a 3.9 280zx diff, all i gotta do is work out the price etc.... i'm hoping nothing more than AU$90, (that be about US$45),

thanks again