HybridZ

Cheap Surge Tank

z-ya

The goldenrod filters with the plastic tanks look like they could fit an internal pump into them. But they have a metal cap which would make the electrical connections more complicated...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

any reason why you shouldn't use it as your fuel filter at the same time? Maybe have a pickup filter for the low pressure pump, your standard glass jobbie...

One question I have, and I know I have seen it mentioned before but I cannot recall the answer: why do so many surge tank setups return the fuel from the rail to the surge tank, rather than to the fuel tank directly? I would imagine returning it from the rail to the surge tank would wind up heating the fuel in the surge tank. Am I just imagining an issue where there is not one? (ie, the heat soaked up by the fuel is in the fuel no matter where it goes) To my thinking, returning it all the way to the tank would give it more time to cool, plus the metal surface of the tank itself would act as a heatsink to cool it from airflow under the carriage...

So am I wrong, or is this just not (usually) such a big deal as I make it out to be, or what?

any reason why you shouldn't use it as your fuel filter at the same time? Maybe have a pickup filter for the low pressure pump, your standard glass jobbie...

Do you mean as a pre-filter for the efi pump? I think if you're getting your feed for the high pressure pump from the bottom of the filter housing, the fuel isn't filtered yet.

One question I have, and I know I have seen it mentioned before but I cannot recall the answer: why do so many surge tank setups return the fuel from the rail to the surge tank, rather than to the fuel tank directly? I would imagine returning it from the rail to the surge tank would wind up heating the fuel in the surge tank. Am I just imagining an issue where there is not one? (ie, the heat soaked up by the fuel is in the fuel no matter where it goes) To my thinking, returning it all the way to the tank would give it more time to cool, plus the metal surface of the tank itself would act as a heatsink to cool it from airflow under the carriage...

So am I wrong, or is this just not (usually) such a big deal as I make it out to be, or what?

I don't recall where, but I have definitely read of people having issues with the return fuel heating up the surge tank. I don't see why you couldn't run the return line direct to the tank, and have the overflow line from the surge tank tee into that. If you match the flow rate from the low pressure pump to that of the high pressure pump, then I don't think you should have to worry about the surge tank running dry.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Do you mean as a pre-filter for the efi pump? I think if you're getting your feed for the high pressure pump from the bottom of the filter housing, the fuel isn't filtered yet.

Ummm.. yah.. I was paying attention. Honest. :D

I don't recall where, but I have definitely read of people having issues with the return fuel heating up the surge tank. I don't see why you couldn't run the return line direct to the tank, and have the overflow line from the surge tank tee into that. If you match the flow rate from the low pressure pump to that of the high pressure pump, then I don't think you should have to worry about the surge tank running dry.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. That is what I had figured, but as we saw above, sometimes I miss little points when I am pondering at the keyboard.. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.