HybridZ

Convert BACK?

How hard would it be to convert a SBC Z back to an L series motor? I found a local one for sale (literally, only one but it's got a SBC in it. I don't dislike small blocks but I have other plans for this car.

Would anyone here be interested in trading the swap parts for their (good condition, obviously) stock parts?

Funny you should mention that, an acquaintance of mine just called and said a friend of his (car collector) has a RHD one that's starting to rust away that he would nearly give away!

The other car was a 2+2 anyway, fail

• 1 month later...
Guest gold83zx

My 83 280zx is going to get a sbc. Right now it has the stock L28e motor and 5 speed. It has just turned 100k and runs great. I will need to get rid of the engine and tranny eventually plus I also have a 83 280zx turbo car that I am going to part out. I live 30 miles from St. Louis if you are interested in trying to swap some parts. I have not started to do anything yet and the car is licensed and drivable. I don't know how quick you may want to do anything to your car, but I am in no hurry at all. If you are swapping back, a complete car is the way to go I would think.

Brian

If your car is like mines (72 240), it requires reweldling the transmission mounting ears in the tunnel, which chucked after I cut them off.

Most of the other stuff is about the same as installing the engine, nothing really hard, just time consuming.

If your car is like mines (72 240), it requires reweldling the transmission mounting ears in the tunnel, which chucked after I cut them off.

Most of the other stuff is about the same as installing the engine, nothing really hard, just time consuming.

If you want mine, I still have to remove them, but they'll probably be 'available.' You'd have to weld them back into place.

Davy