HybridZ

Head/Manifold Gaskets L28/n47-->L28et/p90?

Challenger

Well I had bought a set of gaskets for my n47 build which didnt get anywhere and I have the headgasket and intake/exhaust manifold. Is there anyway to use these on my p90/f54 turbo build? Ill be running around 12 psi with intercooler. And can I just use the stock round port gasket and cut it to fit the square ports. I dont want to make this ghetto but dont want to waste brand new gaskets.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I bought them a long time ago.

So does anyone know the answer... can I just cut the ports to be square and then use the head gasket? Im going to go see if the head gasket lines up everywhere on the p90.

Held up the intake/exhaust gasket and it turns out the round exhaust holes are just slightly larger than the square ports. Id still have to remove a bit of material on the corners.

Yes, you can use the N47 gaskets with a P90. Before assembly just be sure that no coolant passages that are both in the block and head are blocked by the gasket. Most intake/exhaust gaskets that I have seen are cut so they will work with both a square and round port. The Nissan ones are the only gaskets that I have seen that actually have a round exhaust port opening.

A stock OEM or aftermarket head gasket can handle 12psi easily. No detonation is allowed of course. As long as there is not detonation, you can safely run 15-18psi on a stock gasket.

I like to spray three coats of copper spray on head and intake/exhaust gaskets. From my experience it makes a longer lasting seal.

Pete

I like to spray three coats of copper spray on head and intake/exhaust gaskets. From my experience it makes a longer lasting seal.
Do you find that this helps reduce the oozing of coolant around the HG when driven hard?

Also, the next time you change the HG, how do you clean off the copper spray? Any trick to it?

Do you find that this helps reduce the oozing of coolant around the HG when driven hard?

Also, the next time you change the HG, how do you clean off the copper spray? Any trick to it?

Yes, it does minimize coolant seepage. I did it on my L28ET at least 5 years ago, and I use it on the track. No signs of seepage. I've used it on all of the engines I've built and have never seen the seepage problem. It is worth the $5 per can.

Just clean the head and block normally with acetone or brake cleaner to remove all gasket and oil residue. Any remaining copper isn't going to hurt anything (it might actually help).