HybridZ

schneider cam in p90a head(hydraulic)

Guest datsun 280zx turbo

Guest datsun 280zx turbo

help me out here guys, it all started with a blown head gasket, and now that i have the head off, im thinking of getting a cam and rocker arms from schneider for my 83 turbo, but since i have the p90a with hydraulic lifters, do i need to replace the lash pads also? or can i get away with just the cam and rockers? i want to do this if its really as simple as im thinking but i need some advice first. also i plan to go with a mild cam if that makes any difference. thanks, drew.

You always need to recheck your lash pad clearances when replacing the camshaft so there's always a possibility of needing to replace them. Good measure says to replace them anyway. Remember, with the P90a you can't go too radical on the cam size.

The problem with cams that require non stock lash pads with a P90A (hydraulic), is that to measure the wipe pattern, you really need oil pressure. If the lifters aren't "pumped up", the wipe pattern cannot be accurately checked.

If you plan on running a non-stock cam, think about converting you P90A to solid lifters.

Pete

If you need one I have an e30 cam out of a n42 I was going to use on my solid lifter conversion. Plans change (perf. cam) and I wont be using it. Ill sell it cheap. PM me.

Also If I was to use this cam what do you have to do to it? I was going to have the rockers resurfaced, can you do the same to the cam. Just so you have a smooth surface on both.

Guest datsun 280zx turbo

sure, u can have ur cam reground..... so heres what im wondring, does my stock p90a head even have lash pads? dont the hydr. lifters adjust themselves? also, on a datsun L6 how does the camshaft sprocket adj. werk? im reffering to the marks 1,2,&3. im assuming they're factory set at 1, and ive read marks 2&3 are in 4 degree increments but do they adv. or ret. timing? im wanting to use a schneider cam from MSA- their "stage 1" cam, duration 260 I 250 E. pretty small cam so can i safely assume timing mark #1 is appropriate? or does even this very mild cam require a timing adj.? (actually im guessing it does, but which way to go?) am i advanced or retard it? derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, im drooling again.

sure, u can have ur cam reground..... so heres what im wondring, does my stock p90a head even have lash pads? dont the hydr. lifters adjust themselves? also, on a datsun L6 how does the camshaft sprocket adj. werk? im reffering to the marks 1,2,&3. im assuming they're factory set at 1, and ive read marks 2&3 are in 4 degree increments but do they adv. or ret. timing? im wanting to use a schneider cam from MSA- their "stage 1" cam, duration 260 I 250 E. pretty small cam so can i safely assume timing mark #1 is appropriate? or does even this very mild cam require a timing adj.? (actually im guessing it does, but which way to go?) am i advanced or retard it? derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, im drooling again.

Lash pads have nothing to do with whether the lifters are solid or hydraulic. You have to have something to interface the rocker arm to the valve stem. That is what the lash pad does.

There is really no adjustment in the stock sprocket. You can buy and adjustable one if you want. The three holes are really there to compensate for chain stretching.