HybridZ

hey anyone know alot about r-200 lsd's have a tech ?????

Guest LAYTON

i put a nismo 5 disc clutch type lsd in my 79 zx replaced a open r-200 that was stock .

i had already upgraded to cv's .

my longer shafted right ?pass - side half shaft will not go all the way in shy of a 1/4 in maybee ?

i put this in 3weeks ago the way i got it but it was shimmed up to tight for the street so i took a shim out on each side then put it back together still the right side half shaft wont quite ingauge all the way it works but i dont wanna break something .

i can see from the u joint flnge that was in it that the end of that had been touching the spacer peice inside between the spiders.

and even after 3weeks mine hasnt touched but after i deshimmed it it was great the 1st night smooth quite around the corners ,no tire scrubing and still lite up both of them great!!

next day heard a intermintent noise outta rr took a good freinf for a ride to pick his brain he thought maybee a nuked cv . but no i checked everything and thats were i run into this lil bit it wont go all the way in .??????

the same axel sinks all the way into my 3.9 open ????? icon_confused.gif

no i did that many times i even gave it a lil love from a 5lb hammer but / even though why would the previous u joint stub have markings on the tip??? where it had touched the round ring in the center of the diff between the splined parts ???

do i need to use 2 lefties on a lsd ???

also i had used it that way 4 3 weeks hard and never heard any noise at all

a hill climb and a auto x , and lotsa burn outs you know just cuz itll do them now with the 4.11 s and lsd and the day after i remove a couple shims it acts up ????

I'd guess same as Pete, C clip and shaft splined end aren't cooperating....1/4" is the ~ distance to the snapring groove is it not (just by memory here).

Some snap clips are thicker (200SXT) but not typically a problem at all (just open up grooves on halfshaft) and only encountered by 4.11R200200SXT users that are aware of the difference.

You're running posi additive right? no crabbing on corners etc...(separate issue from above/just asking)

a higher numerical gear (ie. 4.11) allows faster acceleration as you have fewer turns of your rear wheels for same number of driveshaft turns....lower numerical (ie. 3.36) allows a higher top speed assuming all other factors allow you to reach that speed. Often a higher numerical gear will actually allow you to travel at a higher rate of speed a the increased torque rate overcomes drag issues etc that lower numeric gears might encounter (with a stock powered car).

HTH

thanks for the info ross ,ya i have possi additive in there , so what your saying is to take a grinder or file to the snap ring grove on my axle ? why is this only a problem on the passenger side ? icon_confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Me and you are in the same boat. I have the same LSD as the one you have. Apparently this LSD was suppose to have the longer shaft on the driver side and the shorter one on the pass side. So when you put the longer one on the pass. side the it won't go all the way in. To make it fit you need to machine the stopper part (middle part of the input shaft) by 1/4 " and it will slide all the way in. Don't bother to hammer or gring nothing. I've been doing some studying with this LSD and growing gray hair with it too. So I am not the only one experiencing this odd ball LSD then.. hehe...

One question though which car did you get this LSD out of? I got mine from the internet and the guy said it came out of a 300ZXT. I got another 3.7 LSD which I don't have this problem.

Vinh http://vvu.tripod.com

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: VinhZXT ]