HybridZ

1983 280zx 2+2 project.

I'm not gonna do any way out there mods or anything to my car. Just a basic rebuild and a custom paint job. I've already started to tackle some of the rust. I had to remove my battery tray to get to a hole in the wheel well under it. Here are some pics of the infected areas.

Before removal:

IMG_0435.jpg

After removal:

IMG_0436.jpg

Not sure how I'm gonna fix this. Might have to go to the junk yard and pull it out of theirs. I want the tail lights from their 81 anyways. I think they look better.

IMG_0440.jpg

• 3 months later...

No pictures yet but a little update on what I have done.

Decided I wanted to be able to hear my engine purr (roar) so I replaced my cat with a strait pipe and my muffler with a cherry bomb. Sounds great. :)

Figured while I was at it I might as well remove some other emissions and unnecessary equipment. So I removed my EGR valve. Made my own block-off plate. And I took out the charcoal canister. Just had to reroute a couple lines and adjust the idle a bit.

Trying to put some money aside for an L28 Turbo, 5 speed trans, R200, and all the little things to make it all work. Plus a whole lot extra for the an intercooler system and to rebuild said motor and to make it a 3.1 liter. Just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling doesnt it? lol. :D

Next up is going to be an electric radiator fan. Anyone know what year taurus fits?

• 5 months later...

Haven't updated in awhile and I figured today would be a good day. I added a resonator tip to my exhaust to eliminate the droning that it had. Sounds much better. I also put in an MSD Blaster SS coil. No big deal. Cleaned up the engine compartment a bit more. Rerouted some wires and vacuum lines. I added an electric 12" fan, but I have an overheating problem so I'm gonna need another.

I welded some holes in my floor pan. I have no carpet at the moment. Thats some pricey stuff. lol. I stripped the entire interior and changed the color of all the panels and dash from tan to red and black. Its coming together pretty nice. I also Installed a new stereo with a custom faceplate and mounted gauges on both sides. Ones a boost/vacuum and the other is oil temp. I've also added 2 four point racing harnesses. I'm hoping to get carpet and racing seats sometime soon. I've done a few other things I can't think of at the moment.

The big update today is that my dad bought a 1983 280zx Turbo 5 speed for me. The car is pretty rough but it runs pretty good and has an almost new clutch. Its got about 300,000 on it but the turbo still spools pretty well. I'm definatly addicted to boost now. :) The motor is going to be rebuilt and hopfully bored over to 3.0L. I've got all kinds of ideas for what I want to do to it. Like maybe twin turbo. Not sure yet. Gonna be awhile before I decide.

I bought a Megasquirt v2.2 and a stimulator and assembled them. The megasquirt seems to work with just the stimulator but I couldn't get it to work on the computer. Hope I can get it working soon.