HybridZ

just a bit of info on 110volt migs

Had a buddy buy a new MIG 110 volt (Im not going to say what brand because this effects all brands) well he gets it home and sets it up and the damn thing won,t weld worth crap, he calls me over, I try it and he right, but before I go blaming the welder I notice the lights got dim as we struck an arc so I suggest he brings it over to my shop and we test weld there, itsa a TOTALLY differant experiance......my shops wired with 20 amp 110 volt circuits and 10 ga wire, his shop has one 15 amp socket wired with 14 ga wire and his overhead lights on the same leg.....and to make things even worse hes using a 50 ft 14 ga extension cord so he can weld out in front of the garage in case of fire,......if your having problems with a mig welder it might be the feed circuit not the welder

yeh the extension cord is primarily the biggest issue..

the welder will only pull 15a at max... so the 14ga wiring in the house is fine. 12 ga would be for a 20a circuit.

As long as all the lights or appliances on the same circuit are off he should be able to weld perfectly fine.

Good advice though =)