HybridZ

rear end ratio

383 240z

what do I need to pick a gear ratio? The touque band, the tire height (26") and the trans ratio(TH 700-R4) am I missing anything? I what a very fast street car that will run mid to low 12's and still be somewhat drivable on the street is this just a pipe dream? Also I like to cruise at about 80-85 on the highway. I will have two sets of wheels and tires also one for the track one for the street my guess is the 383 will make more than enough TQ so I won't need real steep cogs so that will help with freeway cruising I'm also using a Dana 44M from a 1982 vette so I can get almost any ratio I want Keith

Tire height and trans ratio in OD will allow you to plug in various rear ratios to get engine RPM. Also consider torque converter lockup. I'm not super familiar with automatics but you've got to consider what RPM you want the converter to flash and whether or not you'll be using a lock-up converter (I would). I CAN tell you that lugging my car in 6th which is a .5 OD I can pull it down as low as about 1200RPM without the engine bitching too much. With some tuning it shoudl be even better! You should be able to easily build a streetable motor to reach your goal. Do you know what the car weighs by any chance? Couold you post your tire height and the OD ratio in that trans? There's probably a Java applet out there somewhere that will do the math for you even if you search for it icon_smile.gif

Honestly if mid 12s are your goal I think a 350 would work out just fine. I think many of the folks are hitting 11s without too much trouble? Check out Andrew's WEB site with time slips and then figure out what looks good icon_smile.gif