HybridZ

700r4 differences

Guest dankinzle

Guest dankinzle

I've got a line on a corvette 700r4, but the 700r4 I have in my car is a normal one and I want everything to fit back in without any more mods. I read that the corvette has a shorter tailhousing than the normal 700s. Some guy is telling me that you can just put another tailhousing on it and it will work, but I'm thinking that the output shaft will be shorter. Does anyone know?

tailhousings swap quick IME, when I first went to pick up my built 700R4 he asked my rear end ratio and then we looked at speedo gears...he had the closest combo for the 'short' (th350?) tailhousing so that's what we put on.....turns out that tailhousing has an almost infinite number of speedo gear choices as the speedo gears cover trucks/60's vettes etc etc......I'd be 99% sure it'll swap very easy but you may need new speedo gears which are cheap.

What year corvette Dan? 4th WOT would be nice....my $$$ B&M kit hasn't given me that yet icon_mad.gif

FWIW, an OEM 'vette governor is suprisingly cheap for a bolt on shifting change.

Guest dankinzle

No kidding about the 4th WOT. Which year allows that?

Oh, so they just use a shorter tailhousing. The main problem for me is that I'm using the caprice tailhousing to mount the tranny, so I have to use that otherwise I'd have to move things around. icon_mad.gif

Guest Anonymous

My tci kit allows wide open 4th I was doing above 110 though . Corvette 700's have a top mount instead of bottom not sure if switching the tail will work . Been a while since I messed with it.also past 92 are electronic 88-89 r best you still have the 4th tap on the side otherwise if you go 90-91 you have too drill servo cap for control of 4th lockup.I may have a good line on convertors .I have 2 3000-3500 stall 12" lock-ups .{NO LIES }My guy went out of business but his partner from a while back is still at it .It would pick my 36's on my blazer off the ground for a few feet on launch .Too much for my stock Lt1 though icon_mad.gif I sent them a 2500-2800 too rebuild post office lost it .So I'm gonna order one from them see If they r as good as my old guy .I blown up many 700's the tci kit seems the best all around so far .

quote:

Originally posted by Cerberus:

My tci kit allows wide open 4th I was doing above 110 though

I know the $$$B&M WOT4 has worked for others. We didn't take mine back out to see why not yet....I was 120mph at 6grand...105-110 was my typical Turn 9 EXIT speed at SIR so the straight was VERY boring without 4th..I could float it in 4th at 120 cruising or hold it at 6grand in 3rd...both very boring for a 1/4mile plus straight.

been wanting that WOT4 for a while...wish it was easier to work on the trans...Y pipe's in the way toooo

The WOT 3-4 upshift valve is a $35 dollar part that you can get at any AAMCO. the Governor is the same on al most all 700's all it does is supply 1 psi of gov. pressure to the vavle body up to 58 mph Then main line pressure takes over. what you need to change is the 1-4 servo piston this part wholesales for $9 if you want either of them let me know (I'm a trans rebuilder in mass) I can also get you the caprice tail shaft that the JTR book recomends GM get $210 for them I can pick them up for about $50 from my hard parts supplier. Let me know if I can help. Keith

quote:

Originally posted by 383 240z:

The WOT 3-4 upshift valve is a $35 dollar part that you can get at any AAMCO

Thanks Keith, the part you mention (price range anyhow) I'd understood to only allow 2/3's throttle to WOT, a few on a classic listed proved that out a few years ago. Perhaps it's changed or they just fudged up?

I should be doing my tranny filter someday here anyhow...is the above something I could attempt?

• 2 weeks later...