HybridZ

Blew a head gasket, rebuild engine advise please

rickl750

Hi Guys,

It appears I blew a head gasket. After my engine warms up it starts smoking (white smoke) I've had to refill my coolant a couple of times in the past couple of days. Anyway, since I now have to take the engine apart I was wondering if while I'm replacing the head gasket it's worth replacing the rings, crank bearings, etc (minus the main bearing since it would require more disassembly) and do a partial rebuild for lack of a better word. I would like to do an engine swap in a couple of years and just looking to do give new life to this tired engine. Any suggestions and opinions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Rick

1978 280Z 2+2 stock engine

I think it totally depends on the condition of the motor, and your use of the car. If you need to drive it regular-like and any down time will hurt, just throw a gasket at it and hope that your head is straight. If you can afford to have it down for a short time and have money to spend, buy everything you need, do what you want, and pay for what you don't want to do or cannot do on your own (machine work or more). If you don't want to spend the money but you can afford do have it down a long time, you can do whatever you want yourself, over time.

If you're looking for an engine swap in two years (but not now), I suspect that means you probably aren't looking to spend the money that you're supposedly saving for a new engine. Also, if it is going to be out of the car in 24 months anyway, it's also probably not worth it to drop much money into this motor. The answers all depend on where you fall on the matrix of time, money, and need for the car.