HybridZ

R200 Diff.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I found an '84 300ZXT at the junkyard today with complete drivetrain. I took it out of gear and moved the driveshaft and it seems to be LSD, but I'm not sure. Most people I've talked to used 88 300zx differentials for their conversions. I have a 72 240z and plan on doing a v8 conversion, and I was just wondeing if this differential is the appropriate LSD substitute I'm looking for. Does anyone have any info?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I found 2 '85 300zx's, an 83 300zx and an 84 turbo and all of them seemed to be LSD due to the fact that both wheels turned in the same direction when I turned the driveshaft; however, the left halfshaft didn't always turn on the turbo 300zx, is this what you meant Ross when you say it's junked? Is there a fail-proof way to test to see if it's good? Also, since it's pick 'n pull, they only want $100 bux for the differential w/ warranty, so if it doesn't work I can bring it back. But, if I do all the work to get it in the car, and it's junk, I don't want to have to take it out again and replace it. None of those 4 above mentioned cars run, so how can I tell if their differentials are good? Thanks

Guest Anonymous

The clutch LSD came standard on 300zx turbo's only from 4/87-89 model years. The highly prized viscous coupling LSD came standard on the extremely rare ss (shiro) edition turbo in 88. The ratio is 3.7 for all LSD's.

If you think you found an LSD, check the ratio to see if it is 3.7, the open diffs are 3.545 and 3.9, though someone could have swapped in the lsd unit only, this is unlikely.

Guest Anonymous

BTW, turning the driveshaft to check for LSD is not the proper way. With the tranny in gear/park.... turn one wheel with your hand, the wheel on the other side will rotate the same direction if LSD, it will rotate the opposite direction if open.