HybridZ

VG30DETT into frontier?

Guest iswim_reelyfast

Guest iswim_reelyfast

I know i'm crazy for putting car engine into a truck but the swap will give higher output than the S/C version of the engine i have. I plan to swap them so that i can have a significant power gain until i build the VG33 for turbo. Fron what i've read here the two are basically the same with the obvious diff of the dual cam and TT. I ultimately plan to build the 33 and keep the TT setup but i'm having trouble sourcing parts. i can't get much more displ out of the 30 so i'm wondering if anyone has seen sleeves for the 33? No major piston companies make pistons so i had been told to try VQ35 pistons. What are the differences in the VG an VQ? i know they have 95mm bore but will the sleeves fiit in my block? I want to make about 400 to the wheels i think. my turbo civic is good for almost 4 , turbo i love but FWD sucks! An old man with big block in a dragster told me there's no replacement for displacement! not a drag truck but pre ran monster.

Guest iswim_reelyfast

I basically am wondering about the wiring aspect of this. Will the computer plug in? i'm sure it has most of the same wiring in the engine bay.

I basically am wondering about the wiring aspect of this. Will the computer plug in? i'm sure it has most of the same wiring in the engine bay.

VG30dett engine is a fun engine but its not very reliable. If your wanting more power and choosing the turbo route then your on the right path. The engine your Frontier has is capable of over 400 reliable whp as it is. To get there you will need a better fuel system, ECU, turbo manifold(custom in your case), and many other little things I cant think of right now.

I have swapped in a vg30et from a 86 300zx into a HB pickup which is the same frame as your frontier, essentially. The firewall mods and engine mount to clear the turbo were the only extensive aspects to the swap. This truck walks WRX's and hangs with modded Sti's all day long. Its running the stock 5psi of boost and an ETS FMIC. So, in short boost your vg33 and be happy with it. peace.

you never ever worry about boost until you realize how much HP your after. Boost is just a number in conjunction with the size of your turbo and how much HP that particular turbo delivers with that given number of boost. make sense? In other words don't tell people how much boost you want to run. tell us how much HP you want. peace.

Guest iswim_reelyfast
you never ever worry about boost until you realize how much HP your after. Boost is just a number in conjunction with the size of your turbo and how much HP that particular turbo delivers with that given number of boost. make sense? In other words don't tell people how much boost you want to run. tell us how much HP you want. peace.

I realize this, however i ask because i want between 350-400hp but i don't want to stat gettin the numbers up there and blow the thing to pieces at the 300 mark. Trying to source up parts is what i'm going for, i want to match parts to the build and expectation. I know that the t3 will flow enough boost, especially two of them. I want to first be sure that the pistons will handle 400hp before i stretch for it. Thank you.

Guest Fuergrissa

The VG30DETT is extremely reliable in the 300-500hp range, And there is a guy around with the VGTT in a light nissan truck, I think it was a frontier, he has a lot of posts on nicoclub.com forums.

My only suggestion would be to get a donor car rather than just an engine there is a ton of crap nessicary to do a VG swap that will be a pain (and expensive) to find individually