HybridZ

tim240z's r230 mounting bracket pics

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! bonk.gif You had me scratchin my head for awhile on that one. I was thinkin "hey wait, the CRX is FWD, why would there be fluid out back?" Over and over again... I think I can finally go to bed now icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

sopdadope,

There is a chamber in the R230 filled with special goo. Goo is a silicon fluid. It is not servicable. The diff uses gear oil to lube bearings and gears. The special goo handels the clutching action of the diff. icon_smile.gif Mark

Sodapope - the gear oil has friction modifiers for CLUTCH LSDs - it would do nothing for a viscoous LSD. If this is a true viscous LSD it will indeed have some sort of special goop. If you read about you'll see that when the fluid sees slip it locks up and gets hot - imagine what would occur if gear oil did that icon_eek.gif

Guest Anonymous

You're right. I got my LSD's and my fluids mixed up. Turns out the viscous LSD's do have sealed units filled with Silicone fluid. Apparently they are not serviceable but the fluids are designed to last the life of the car, around 200K-260K. It's the multiplates you should worry about as they warp due to heat and internal stress over time in which case you will have to get a replacement unit.