HybridZ

rear end ratio

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am putting together a 72 with a 330hp SBC and a 700R4 and setting it up for highway cruisin and handling a bit better. What do you guys think a 354 rear ratio or the 334[ I think thats the right number] I understand I can have the stall converter setup at the necessary speed for the overdrive. Thanks icon_cool.gif

I have a simular set up in my 71 Z. I have a 355 sbc 350-400 hp roller motor with a vette 700r4 tranny with a 2600 stall. Gears are 3.54 rear r200. Its pretty good but I kinda wished I had gone 3.90's. I have 235x60x15's for rear tires,I believe 26.2 inches tall. This I believe is taller than stock set up so 3.54's are more like 3.32's if Im not mistaken.

zfan...Mike

Guest Anonymous

With the first gear in the 700R (and my T56) I'd opt. for the 3.36 (if you can find one) gears. It'll give lower highway engine speeds and still give you adequate launch because of the light weight. At least that would be my preference, but as mentioned, depends on the setup and what you want to do, others think a 3.54 or 3.70 or 3.90 is grand, so it depends on what you like I guess as well as what height tire you'll use etc.

Regards,

Lone

Peter:

-is the 'highway' cruising on the Island or lots of long trips? (ie. how fast.....3000rpm at 80mph with 3.7's in my setup is just fine...)

-330hp flywheel I believe? (305 right?), I'd go as steep as I could for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear punch......at least that's what I want, 1st gear in most any decent car is always fun....it's 2, 3, and 4 really still hauling I love.......

-I cruised steadily at 4-5k rpm to california for spells and when you're doing 100+ it's just sweet music as you tempt your nerves....not so often for me to be able to cruise their for long

-I'd go 3.7's or 3.9's depending on overall tire diameter (3.9's for 26" and 3.7's for 25"), just my .02c (and I even have a set of brand new 3.36 gears for sale), looking at rpm's it's not much difference 3.54 to 3.7 etc but power difference is more obvious IMO.

-3.36's are IMO more for those doing the 1320 and needing the ratio to meet finish line/shifting/gearing needs or open road racers or high powered cars that can just really still fly in 3rd/4th/5th/6th regardless (given their rarity....if they were more common I'm sure a lot more of us would run them.......and 3.15's as well...)