HybridZ

Picked up a WC T-5 last night!!!

dsommer

Well I picked up a WC T-5 out of a 92 Camaro last night complete with bell housing, slave clutch ect. I am planning on replacing the clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing with after market parts but I have a few questions.

1. Which flywheel do I use for this application? (168 tooth ect) I’m running a 2 piece rear main block

2. What clutch, pressure plate and TO brng do you prefer aftermarket wise?

3. What starter matches the above-mentioned flywheel?

4. What is the best choice for a master cylinder? 7/8 Tilton?

5. Any additional comments would be appreciated. Except the one that says run a T-56

Fast Frog are you still running a T-5 or did you switch to T-56? If T-5 I would really like more info on your set up.

I hope my engine won’t grenade this used tranny with around 400 hp. I guess I’ll just have to go easy on it and cross my fingers.

Thanks ya’ll,

David

I knew someone was going to ask, and should have posted it in my initial post. $270 I was a bit reluctant to pay that much (I'm a cheap bastard sometimes) icon_wink.gif but it is a TRUE World Class T-5 (checked it out real good and kept the poker face on the entire time icon_biggrin.gif ) so I figured what the heck I'll give it a shot icon_biggrin.gif It is complete with shifter too (whoooooh big deal) but thats one less part I have to buy, for now any way.

ds

Guest Anonymous

OMG!!! That's a steal dude! Way to go there. How many miles are on it? Congrats and hope it serves you well. Now if only I can get a deal like that...

Thanks, cool it's a deal or a steal whatever it is it's mine icon_smile.gif (my wife didn't think it was a deal haha) The guy had it in an 86 T/A but after running the numnbers on it here: http://www.5speeds.com/index.html

I found out it came out of a 92 F-body so I kind of figure 9 year old tranny X 10,000 miles/year 90,000 miles if I'm lucky. It probably more than that though.

ds

Don't by the 3/4" Tilton. It don't work. Like Glenn said, the 7/8" Tilton works great. I used Redline ATF, spendy, probably not necessary for my 250hp motor.

You got a killer deal, I paid $750 and was happy. Show this to your wife. Then go spend a little money on her. It'll go a long way. icon_wink.gif

Guest Fast Frog

David:

Per the JTR manual, I'm using a 153 tooth fly wheel with a Pro Street mini-starter. I'm running a Camaro Z28 clutch setup with a stock Camaro slave cyl. My earnest recommendation is to run a 13/16" or larger master clutch cyl. I had clutch engaging probs with a 3/4" and cured it with a 13/16".

Good luck, Rick

(PS) even with 400HP+ you shouldn't have any probs with the tranny unless you start to abuse and do a lot of speed shifting. I was running 425HP+ with a paxton and did "get on it" many times over the last 5+ yrs and the tranny is still giving me good service! icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

In all my haste and excitement, I forgot to address your questions so here goes...

1. Which flywheel do I use for this application? (168 tooth ect) I’m running a 2 piece rear main block

2. What clutch, pressure plate and TO brng do you prefer aftermarket wise?

3. What starter matches the above-mentioned flywheel?

4. What is the best choice for a master cylinder? 7/8 Tilton?

5. Any additional comments would be appreciated. Except the one that says run a T-56

1) According to Nion, and this is unconfirmed, the larger 168 tooth flywheel and clutch will not fit the stock camaro pressure plate. Funny thing is, nowhere is this mentioned in the JTR manual, you can refer to Nion's post in the Chevy forum

2) I dunno too much about this one. I hear Ram clutches are pretty good...

3)Since you'd be going with the 153 tooth flywheel, any of the popular mini-style starters SHOULD fit as per the JTR manual, again, I don't know this for a fact and I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this. Either that or you could use the stock starter out of a V8 93-97 Camaro

4) The 3/4" Tilton is good, but supposedly you can use one out of a stock F-150 truck that works very well for our application, search around the drivetrain forum for exact details. Has anybody used the Wilwood unit? Any comments on its suitability?

5) Over at gearzone.net they've got this product called the Countershaft Stabilizer that supposedly prolongs the life of the gearbox by better supporting 5th gear... Again, refer to their site for more details. I would suggest you look into that some more... That and you should use some good quality ATF in the tranny like Redline or AMSOil to keep the synchros nice and happy

Guest Anonymous

dsommer, is their a differace betwen a "true" and a "fake" WC-T5? just kind of curious since this is the first time i've heard it refferanced like that. i know my 87 thunderbird TC is supposed to have one in it. how would i make sure about that with out tearing the tranny out? man it is drivng me nuts knowing my daily driver has a lot of equipment i wouldn't mind swapping to my ZX but i can't since it is exactly that: my daily driver. aarrgh icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous

I think he was referring to the fact that its a World Class as opposed to a non-world class which are more common. And I don't recommend swapping your thunderbird T5 into your ZX if you're going with an SBC. You'll have to modify it (new bellhousing, input shaft, etc) not to mention its only rated for 220 (or was it 260) lb-ft of torque

Guest Anonymous

are you sure its only a regular T5? i have found quite a few websites that all say that a t-bird turbo coupe came equipped with a world class 5 speed as well as a LSD (can vouch for that one icon_biggrin.gif POWERSLIDE icon_biggrin.gif ) and a few other go fast goodies in the suspension and engine managment system.

or did they actually make different styles of the WC T5? i was just kind of curious. as to runing it in my car as tempting as it is i plan on running a keisler modified T5. it is rated at i think like 500 ft/lbs of torque in fifth. and over 700 icon_eek.gif in first gear. only downfall of this tranny is the price tag $2300! but it includes CNC bellhousing and a 10,000 RPM chromeoly driveshaft

Sorry if I confused anybody out there. The following info is what I got out of Car Craft magazine dated MAY 1992, on “World Class Act” My saying it’s a True world class is that it’s a World Class not a Non World Class. Like Hydra said

Per Car Craft “all GM V-8 T-5’s have a 26 spline input shaft” but the ideal way to ID the tranny is to check the counter shaft-bearing retainer. “If you have a small, single –colored front countershaft bearing retainer stamped ”TORRINGTON” the trans is Non world Class. A large two-color (gray with outer ring) bearing marked “TIMKIN” Identifies a World Class T-5”

No there isn’t a fake WC transmission just a NWC and a WC (thanks Hydra for helping out)

Hope this clears things up and by the way I got the flywheel too!!!

David

Yeah, it's unconfirmed. All I knows is, I spent forever getting a 168 tooth flywheel and clutch and it didn't fit under my bellhousing. 153 tooth fit with no problems.

Guys, has anyone tried out the Howe aluminum master cylinders? I know Lonehdrider has one for his T56 but I'm not sure of the bore. Mine is 3/4" as specified by JTR. I can always switch to another, they're only $50 or thearabouts from Summit.

Guest Anonymous

Mine's 3/4" and it worked for the T56 and engages the clutch fully. Others either havn't liked the feel, or had engagement problems using that size, so I'm not sure what to think is the 'ideal' size. I am using a OEM type clutch though, and not like a centerforce like some people are using, which I would assume would have higher pedal effort, or maybe its just they're material and the centrifugal weights that gives the centerforce its bite. *Shrug*

I do like the Howe unit though, it has quite alot of fluid in the resevoir. One caveat and I'm not sure this isn't the same for other brands, you'll probably need to hog the hole in the firewall ever so slightly to get the snout of the master cyl. in through the firewall. (My car was an automatic originally not sure if that matters).

Regards,

Lone

Lone,

I'm using a stock type clutch (with a 400hp rating), not Centerforce. And yeah, I did have to go at the hole just the tiniest bit with a Dremel but it slipped in there nice and snug and the clevis wasn't trouble to hook up. Just drilled it out and got another nut to secure it.

Has anybody out there that is running a T-5 tried the T 5 5 Speed Counter Gear Stabilizer avaliable from http://www.5speeds.com/index.html. It seems that this would help out the tranny and the cost is only $59.95 but how about installation? I've only worked on a tranny once and that was a 700R-4 (put a shif kit in it) and 3 months later it took a dump on me

cry2.gifcry2.gif !!! So I tend to stay away from the slush boxes and leave them to the pros.

Anyone? Anyone?

(Frog it sound like you collect old mags too nothing like having a 9 year old mag to reference icon_biggrin.gif )

David

Maybe you should email them and ask what is involved. The manual trannys appear to be simpler in their make-up than auto trannys do. If you are concerned with screwing up and wadding the trans, get a video on rebuilding the T5. I really doubt it is all that difficult, though. Just my $.02.

Davy