HybridZ

7lbs aluminum flywheel?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is this streetable? Or is it too lightweight for everyday driving? I can get one for a very good price, which is why I'm asking, otherwise I'd just go for a 15-16lb unit. What do you guys think?

400hp and a 3.36 rear end? arent you gonna need a really radical cam to pull those numbers, you might not be able to get that much power out to the pavement with freeway gears like that, for me to run a combo to get that much horsepower effectively i would need a 3.90 or even lower ratio to get into the high end power like that. just a thought, dont mean to rattle you.

Guest Anonymous

Why is it that everybody thinks 400bhp out of a 327 is so hard? Assuming a similar specific output, that's the same as a 430bhp 350. And we all know that a 327 will always have a higher SPECIFIC output than an equivalent 350. 400bhp from a 327 is possible with careful component matching, combined with attention to detail. And I was planning on making that much with a cam with no more than 280 degrees of seat duration to preserve manifold vacuum and driveability.

Now with that out of the way, as Ross said, the 3.36 gears are close to ideal for most V8ed Zs, the reason you don't see much of them is that R200 with a 3.36 ratio were only made for like one year, for like an automatic '79 2+2 or something... I just happened to get lucky icon_biggrin.gif

What none of this tells me is whether or not a 7lbs flywheel is streetable. Will it exacerbate the lumpy(ish) idle? Will I be stalling a lot? Will there be a big loss of smoothness and increase in vibration? Any other nasty side-effects I forgot to mention?

Guest Anonymous

Hydra, I think you are right about stalling alot. With that light of a flywheel you wont have much wanting to keep the engine turning. Everyone thinks that reciprocating mass is evil and you want to get rid of it, it seems to me that it isn't bad, it just needs to be tuned, often a lighter flywheel is good, but that is REALLY light! Same idea with friction, everyone tries to minimize it in trannies and rear ends, and think it is evil, without it our tires wouldn't do anything... we would just sit there spinning like on ice, which could be fun icon_smile.gif But we couldn't have cars in a world like that.

Anyway, with a lopey cam, and that light of a flywheel, I would think you would have some trouble, that would be good for like a salt flats car, push start to get rolling... though I'm by no means an expert, it's just my $.02

Kris

Hey I say try it out, it might be great. You might have to buzz it and slip the clutch a little to get going but it will react very quickly. It might also wanna spin the wheels more in puddles and potholes. Sounds like good fun to me.

Thure