HybridZ

Rocker Load Path Instead of SFC?

I'm replacing my floor pans and doing a full cage in my 280z. I would like to have the load path of the TC rod and forward frame rail to connect to my rocker bar and roll cage. I would tie the rear subframe into the cage as well. I wouldn't be welding in a SFC, and just routing the forces through the rocker and rocker bar of the cage. Why would I not want to do this?

I'll make some drawings of what I'm thinking and post them.

Regards,

Justin

If I understand you correctly, you are planning to do something similar to what I did. The tubes that converge above the T/C pivot point tie into the cage. The lower tube ties into the lower door bar and rocker panel. The middle cluster ties into the upper door bar.

7833PICT0014.JPG

Yes, the frame rails extend rearward to the crossmember in front of the differential. My frame rails follow the path of the original floor support/frame rails. If I were to do it again, the SFC would be made of 2x3 tubing that sits tight against the rocker panels, and the rear main hoop would sit on top of it. As it is my frame rails are 2.5" square tubing that penetrates the floor such that 1" is inside the car and 1.5" is below the floor. By routing the SFC tight against the rocker panels, you can keep them even with the floor pan and not loose ground clearance.

PICT0050.JPG

BodyRoll.jpg

You can see in the last picture the frame rails hanging low below the car.