HybridZ

CV question guys

scottyMIz

I was thinking can the spindals on the back wheels designed for the cv shafts fit in a first gen z?I can get them out of the parts car i have and it would be better than an adapter and easier not to mention cheaper for me.Tell me what you think.Oh ross if this doesn't work i'll be interested in the adapters.

I'm not sure about the term "spindal" in regards to the CV shafts, so I'll cover all bases here. Using OEM parts, the 280ZX Turbo CV shafts with the accompanying companion flanges, will only "bolt on" to the 240Z axle stubs (with the 25 splined stubs). The later 260 and 280 axle stubs have 2 extra splines that prevents the CV flanges from slipping onto them. The adapter allows these shafts to bolt onto the slightly larger stubs that have the 2 extra splines.

Not sure what you mean by spindles. Do you mean to ask if the 280ZX turbo stub axle carriers can be used on the 240Z? Because, while I'm sure it's possible, I really don't think it would be easy. Much easier to just get the adapter.

How about this for elucidation purposes (sorry if this is overly verbose):

Wheel bolts to -> Stub axle which fits into bearings which press into the -> Carrier (which is welded to the strut tube and also attaches to the lower arm). The splined end of the stub axle sticks out of the inner part of the carrier and there is a seal there to keep out water and dirt.

Now comes the Companion flange which slides over the splines (and inside the seal). The companion flange bolts to the half shaft. The 240Z stub axle has the same diameter and spline count as the 280ZX turbo stub axle. SO, the companion flange from the 280ZX turbo can be used on a 240Z stub axle. The 240Z flange's dust shield (sheetmetal) has to be transfered over and a Seal has to be figured out (240 seal is too large, 280ZX seal is too small, gotta fab something. Terry O used an R200 pinion seal with the outer rubber shaved off, but I had no luck with this so I used the ZX seal and a big rubber ring).

The 280Z has stub axles with a different diameter and more splines. So you can't use the 280ZX turbo companion flange. Hence, the adapter. You weld the 280Z companion flange to a machined piece that can bolt to the CV halfshaft. So, you can use the plain old 280Z seal. Also, I've been told that the new Hybrid Companion flange is actually shorter than the 280ZX turbo companion flange which helps with CV bind.

BUT, obviously if you have a 240, you will need to switch to the 280Z stub axle.

Thanks i guess you guys kinda lost me.I didn't know the correct term for them so i just said spindals i know they are on the front but i couldn't think of any other term at the moment.I don't understand the spline part of it.I have the whole turbo car so i planned just to take the whole R200 out of it and put it in my 76z and then put on the cv's also and was wondering if the part that hooks to the wheel would fit to mate up with the cv.Does that make sense?Sorry if you already explained it to not work i just didn't understand what you guys said.

quote:

Originally posted by Trevor:

Sorry if I missed this, but here's another question. I see the 280ZXT and 240Z have the same spline count, can you use 280ZXT stub axles on a 240Z-280Z cars hub carrier? Or just the inboard adaptor?

In short, some have used the 280ZXT comp. flange IF you have limited suspension travel (please check your travel before driving if you use this option!) as the CV's can get bound up....280ZXT flange is 2" longer than 70-78 flanges.....my adaptor is <1" thick which puts the CV's in their 'happy' range. More written on my web with pics.

I have the 240 stubs and ZXT comp flanges on my car. Jacked all the way up (wheels hanging), the CVs will bind.

So, I avoid catching air over hills icon_biggrin.gif . I haven't noticed any problems with ordinary street driving yet. If/when I get on a track it may be an issue. Terry's got the same setup on his car though.

I'll probably eventually get some adapters (assuming they're available then - money is needed elsewhere on the car currently) to use with the plain 240 flanges. No way am I dissasembling all that crap for 2 the extra splines of the 280 stubs.