HybridZ

WizardBlack's '77 280Z 'street' car

Another project I am tinkering with is a Wilwood dual master pedal set. It has a clutch pedal with hookup for a master and a brake pedal with balancer bar and provision for a master for each front and rear. With this setup I could easily go to whatever size master cylinders I wanted for relatively cheap cost. One thing that some people do is remove the little sensor block that both front and rear lines flow through. It throws a light if you lost a brake line. What they don't realize is that while they like adding an aftermarket restrictor to the rear line to dial the brake balance, that stock  piece also had a check valve to close off a brake channel if it was broken. Without it, you would feasibly lose all brakes. The dual reservoir setup provides two completely independent braking channels to have a more robust braking system.

The pedal set is about $200 with no masters. IIRC the masters are circa $40 apiece. You have multiple options for front or rear facing and remote reservoir, etc. I am mostly just curious how I can fit this around the steering column and still have pedals place where they should be. Another option is to fab a new throttle that locates it over to the left a modest amount (maybe an inch) and that would stop from trying to make the Wilwood pedals hug the steering column to be spaced appropriately.

I think having masters that are rear facing with remote reservoirs would be the cat's meow.

I had a Toyota non-vented front and 240SX rear setup with 3/4" master and 240 brake booster (unknowingly swapped on me from a 280z booster when I bought a replacement at Autozone). I had to press hard enough for "lock them up" braking force to flex the firewall. I am now moving to all Wilwoods (probably superlight fronts and dynalight rears) so perhaps using the pedal box would be a good way to finish it out and make more room in the engine bay. Superlight calipers are a tad heavier, but feature more mass (heat sinking and strength) as well as much larger volume pads (more wear) despite being close is pad surface area. Some say that Dynalights are just too light for anything but drag racing.

post-2440-0-44919000-1392343195_thumb.jpg

Edited by WizardBlack