HybridZ

Interested in an Olds powered Z31

I am interested in replacing the all but blown N//A engine in my 88 Z31 with a V8. I've read most of the stuff on Chevy small blocks that Alf and a few others have posted, but I'm interested in using either the Oldsmobile 455 in my garage, or an Olds 350. It looks like the difference between the SBC and SBO is 2 more inches of length and 4 of width. I'm not sure of how the mounting points of the two compare. I'm afraid that the starter being where the chevy oil filter is will cause problems with the steering rack as well. Does anyone have any information that may help me? I'll be pulling my engine this weekend, but my 455 is in pieces and needs completely rebuilt. My plan is to use a 350, and eventually upgrade to the 455 if possible. I want to use a manual transmission.

I've head that the rear axles are the weak link in my driveline. Does any one know what kind of power they can take?

If all else fails, I can just use a chevy engine, but I'd like my swap to be a little more personal. I've always been an Oldsmobile fan.

From all I have read on here, the r200 rear end will handle your swap unless you get extreme with the 455. I had the stock rearend in my Z31 sbc, and it never gave me any problems. The rear suspension would squat more than I cared for though. This is just my opinion, and, of course now I'm running a Dana 44.

Does your SBC's weight cause any problems for you? I think the 350 Olds is about the same weight, but the 455 weighs around 100 lbs more. I'd assume I'll need some kind of spring upgrade, but I'm worried about the car being too nose heavy.

The V6 is coming out this weekend (hopefully). If all goes well, I'll be throwing the heads and oil pan back on the 455 to see if it fits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...