HybridZ

700R4

Guest kc6wfs

Hi all,

Finaly went to "pick A part" and pulled the 4 pin

connector for hooking up the lockup converter.

Question.

How many Amps. does the valve pull for the converter.

I'm just going to run it to a stitch and manualy

switch it.

Thanks.

Dave

Thanks Cerberus

Wow what a differance!!!

Drops 600 rpm in 4th.

I should have hooked it up a long time ago.

Also workes in 1st-4th! Was playing.. hehe

Wonder how that would work out at the 1/4 mile track.

Going to have to play with it sometime.

Nice now being able to do 1600 rpm 70mph in 4th!

Dave

Guest Anonymous

What year trans is it? On the side up too 90 is a 4th gear line pressure take off. put a sending unit in it so it only works in 4th gear.Also run the current through a switch on your brake pedel so when you hit the brake it releases.If it is 90 or up you need too tap enter of servo cover for fluid pressure. icon_wink.gif

Stock converter...???

malebitchslap.gif

Just kidding. I remember when my '87 700R4 had the OEM converter in it. Totally sucked! I could not get out of the hole if my life depended on it. I eventually ditched the 1200 rpm OEM unit for a 3000 rpm TCI converter. Major difference. I dropped at least 1/2 a second off my ET in the quarter mile. The initial price is a little bit of a hit on the wallet, but worth every penny.

As for locking up the converter manually, the solonoid in the transmission shouldn't draw much more than a couple hundred milliamps. Also, if you are serious about getting every last bit out of your car at the drag strip, locking up the converter around the 1000' mark has been rumored to give a few extra mph in the big end. Haven't tried it out yet, one of these days.

Cerb,

What are some "nominal" pressures you are seeing while under full load? I seem to get a different answer every time I ask a different person.

-Andy

"Stock converter...???

Just kidding. I remember when my '87 700R4 had the OEM converter in it. Totally sucked! I could not get out of the hole if my life depended on it."

You must have a healthier cam Andrew. Or quite a different torque band. Mine will shred from 700 idle out of the hole, not as easily on the R compounds but it'll still do it (ie. I have that impending 'oh shit something broke' feeling with the R's and a full launch). I have a stock TC.

Guest Anonymous

As many as I've blown up, built, had built ,I never took a line pressure reading rolleyesg.gif I've got a stock pos convertor in mine .I think its from my 84 blazer ! No stall at all 1300 too 1500 .I have 2 3000-3500 on the shelf LOOKING AT ME malebitchslap.gif Figured it would be too much for this stock LT1 Now I am wishing I dropped it in icon_mad.gif Ahh another winter mod.

• 1 month later...
Guest kc6wfs

Hay Cerb,

how driveable would the 3000 converter be for street weekend driving?

I run 2500rpm at 75mph on the freeway.

I am thinking of getting one.

I do have a BIG trans cooler in front of the rad

with a 10" fan for it.

Thanks.

Dave

i have a vigilante convertor from precision industries and it is AWESOME!!!!!thier link is http://www.converter.com/95gmtorque.htm . if you are intrested go to there and check them out. i dropped 4 tenths by putting it in. before i was using a b&m 3000 stall and i thought it was good until this one. both of them are very good on the street aswell. a bigger stall will help out even a stock motor as long as you don't get carried away with the stall.