HybridZ

NZR: caliper/brake issues on my triumph

copy/paste from triumph forums

All,

It was time to replace my stock pads, so I got a set of EBC HH semi-metallic pads. The front brakes were quite spongy, and I don't think the fluid was ever flushed. So, figured I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Drained the fluid, put pads into the left caliper, went to do the right side... no go. Pistons are extended about 1-2mm out. I tried pressing them in by hand, no go.. and there's no pressure in the system. I wound up pressing them in with a clamp (common issue, not hazardous on cars, anyway), pads went in, slapped the calipers back onto the forks, torqued down to 40 NM, put in new DOT4, flushed the system, left brake level zip tied overnight to clear out any bubbles, rode around the block for a test next day, all seemed ok.

Today went to break the brake pads in, the brakes were super grabby and awesome. Now the problem...

Just went to check the torgue on calipers, rolled the bike, the right caliper pistons are slightly extended and as I roll the bike, I can hear the pads touching the rotor, and I feel a little bit of resistance when rolling. VERY little resistance.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Any tips/tricks? I'm worried about premature wear on the rotor, or excessive heat from friction of just riding around. Any known problems with TT calipers, and are they interchangeable with any other makes? Bike's got 18.8k miles

Thanks!

I bought my Tbird new in 97 (it's a 96). The front pads always did drag a little. Always sounded like a slight scuff, when pushing the bike out of the garage. I just changed my front pads for the first time last week. I did go for the same pads you have. My bike has just 14,000 miles on it now. No sign of undo rotor wear. The new pads do feel great. I am not going to re- learn how to do a stoppy!

I am a dumbass, though. My Tbird only has one caliper/ rotor set up (as built). I just thought I would post about the expected life of my bike pads.