HybridZ

Bought a t56 tranny

Guest zmaize

Ok I bought a t56 and it came with the following:

Bellhousing, clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, (the line that connects them) flywheel, and all of the stock mounting brackets. Also an aftermarket hurst shifter w/o the knob.

How much of this stuff can I use if I'm using an old (68) chevy 327 and it's going into an 83zx?

Can I use the clutch/flywheel combo that it came with?

How about any of the stock camaro mounting brackets? Has anyone tried this? Has anyone even put a t56 into a 280zx?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Can't use the flywheel - you'll be forced to buy a pricey Centerforce unit. Not sure about the mounts but the rest you can use except for the master. You may or may not want to use a piece of th estock line - I did rather than drilltapepoxy the slave. YMMV...

Ok I talked to the guy that's building my engine and he said that the reason the flywheel won't work is cause the newer (i think he said 86 and up) flywheels/crankshafts have a smaller bolt pattern. He said rather than buying a 200-some dollar flywheel he may be able to drill new mounting holes in the stock one. Has anyone tried this with/without any success? this would be nice because he'll do it way cheaper than a new flywheel.

Also about the master cylinder, just curious why can't it be used? and where do I get one that will work?

Guest RON JONES

Before You can drill the new holes,the old ones need to be welded up and machined flat.then You can lay out the new bolt patteren.its going to cost you to do this.I just bought an Aluninum FIDANZA fly wheel for this convesion off ebay for $380.Its not for Me,its for My Brother thats doing a SBC 327 W/T-56.He was going to just buy the Heavy Centerforce,but for $40 bucks more we got the aluminum one.Its a lot lighter and will rev up quicker with a small cube motor.I have heard that these "FIDANZA" flywheels are a good piece.If anyone is interested,I can send You his email,I'm sure He is a Dealer and has more.Rotateing weight Guys,is huge!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Don`t forget that the late flywheel is weighted differently than an early f/w. compensating for the flange on the old crank vs the newer crank with the one piece rear seal. whatever you do, just make sure it`s balanced properly or you`ll go through bearings like mad(maybe worse) icon_eek.gif