HybridZ

HKS Hi-Power Muffler

jakeoster

Problem: I am going to invest in a genuine HKS Hi-Power Ti Muffler and I am not sure if I should get the 120mm tip or 96mm tip.

Question: Does a larger diammeter tip yeild a larger horse power gain or does it have a point of diminishing return? Which muffler would yeild the biggest horsepower gain?

Application: RB25 powered 280z.

Supplementary Info: I do not care if the larger muffler looks ricer, were not dealing with a Honda Civic here. I do not care if the larger one costs more because its not much more. I want my car to sound bitchin:biggrin:

Photo:

hksmuffler.jpg

Approximately 3" for the inlet on the larger one and the smaller one has an inlet of about 2.3" its a turbo'd RB25. Also I do not have an exhaust system at all, just the header coming off the turbo. I am going to fabricate my own piping. I apologize for the lack of relevant information. This may sound like a dumb question but whats with the sideways muffler mounting? Any performance value from this? Since I'm making my own piping I want to make it as performance oriented as possible.

ewfwefwef.jpg

I was leaning towards 3" as well but I just wanted to get a second opinion because I'd be (for lack of a better term) butthurt if I did all this 3" pipe to find out there wasn't enough enough back pressure or something like that that hindered performance. I also use public transit regularly (dont laugh people hahaha) and am not going to be driving it everyday. Not going to install a stereo so there wont be annoying massive bass thats worse then any exhaust :]

This may sound like a dumb question but whats with the sideways muffler mounting? Any performance value from this? Since I'm making my own piping I want to make it as performance oriented as possible.

I have heard its because when people are running a boosted car, they want to have the least amount of bends in the exhaust so it will flow better, and sometimes it ends up coming out like that. I guess there may be a small gain, but nothing noticeable I'm sure. But most of the time I think its for looks

Guest 280ZForce
i, honestly, am not going to put any type of muffler when i turbo my car....jus 3in straight on through. it's not really that loud since the turbo quiets it down...and it sounds quite amazing :F

haha that's what you think... it is pretty loud. My previous system was 3" turbo back, no cat, just straight through with apexi muffler at the end. Yes, it does sound damn sexy, but ummm, it's not quiet at all really. You knew when I was coming down the street and when I started the beast up.

Now I'm all for loud, obnoxious and raspy if it sounds good... like on a Z (not Hon-duh style fart noises/lawn mower status crap)... hence why mine is now 4" turbo back and split to dual mufflers.

i, honestly, am not going to put any type of muffler when i turbo my car....jus 3in straight on through. it's not really that loud since the turbo quiets it down...and it sounds quite amazing :F

Go for it man, you can add a muffler later. No muffler on a turbo car leaves alot of pipe for resonance. The first time you have to spend several hours on the highway and your head feels like its gonna implode, you will change your mind! lol.

Ill get a sound clip at some point for you, I just put 5 gallons of E85 in it so I don't wanna get on it too bad.

Ill take photos, but my exhaust has that type of muffler on the end and TWO resonators under the car. Its loud, sounds good, and very tollerable on the highway.

haha that's what you think... it is pretty loud. My previous system was 3" turbo back, no cat, just straight through with apexi muffler at the end. Yes, it does sound damn sexy, but ummm, it's not quiet at all really. You knew when I was coming down the street and when I started the beast up.

Now I'm all for loud, obnoxious and raspy if it sounds good... like on a Z (not Hon-duh style fart noises/lawn mower status crap)... hence why mine is now 4" turbo back and split to dual mufflers.

well i must say that your exhaust is jus one of the most beautiful things i've seen...very clean and quite mean.

i guess i'll try it without it and see jus how tolerable it is...i'd rather have it too loud than too quiet haha.

and i have twice pipes right now...i've gone on the freeway for 2 hours but yea...probably wouldn't want to go much longer...

you have a soundclip of your Z? i've seen your old setups but have not heard teh new one...

Go for it man, you can add a muffler later. No muffler on a turbo car leaves alot of pipe for resonance. The first time you have to spend several hours on the highway and your head feels like its gonna implode, you will change your mind! lol.

Ill get a sound clip at some point for you, I just put 5 gallons of E85 in it so I don't wanna get on it too bad.

Ill take photos, but my exhaust has that type of muffler on the end and TWO resonators under the car. Its loud, sounds good, and very tollerable on the highway.

haha....maybe i'll change my mind :P

and i look forward to the sound clip.

Guest 280ZForce
well i must say that your exhaust is jus one of the most beautiful things i've seen...very clean and quite mean.

i guess i'll try it without it and see jus how tolerable it is...i'd rather have it too loud than too quiet haha.

and i have twice pipes right now...i've gone on the freeway for 2 hours but yea...probably wouldn't want to go much longer...

you have a soundclip of your Z? i've seen your old setups but have not heard teh new one...

the new one hasn't been put to use yet as the car isn't completed or ready to go yet with all the new stuff... still lots to do.

Just the vid clips of the old 3" turbo back setup with a straight through muffler.