HybridZ

5.3L Questions

Well, it is my clearance issue now, which you were kind enough to address in another thread ;) The hood does close, however it rubs on the top of the alternator. Given the movement of the engine with revs, I am still deciding which method I want to use to lower it.

You could convert everything up front to LS1 and move the alternator down low. My solution of the moment is to whack a long hole into the hood centered over both the alternator and intake and cover it up with a Datsun competition hood scoop that I stole from a member here a couple of years ago. Simple trade: his scoop for a complete R200 LSD with 1/2 shafts. [Definition of a perfect trade: When the party of the first part and the party of the second part each reach, separately, an unexpressed and unshared joyful opinion that he/she/it has "screwed" the other.]

g

That Datsun competition hood scoop is exactly what I need, that bulb in the front should just clear the alternator, and it has a really unique look! I also can't find anything like it in the reproduction hood scoops :( If I can get that fabricated onto my hood, I can avoid the swap parts or alternator relocation costs, and I need to get it modded to clear the carb anyway.

Could you do me a huge favor and take a few pics of that scoop with a ruler in proximity? I can't find a white sheet or specs on it anywhere, and I would like to have a reference so I can get as close to stock as possible.

Ahh, project car, how you vex me!

That Datsun competition hood scoop is exactly what I need, that bulb in the front should just clear the alternator, and it has a really unique look! I also can't find anything like it in the reproduction hood scoops :( If I can get that fabricated onto my hood, I can avoid the swap parts or alternator relocation costs, and I need to get it modded to clear the carb anyway.

Could you do me a huge favor and take a few pics of that scoop with a ruler in proximity? I can't find a white sheet or specs on it anywhere, and I would like to have a reference so I can get as close to stock as possible.

I have the photos you need, but I've not been able to fathom all the mysteries of the new Hybridz software. However, you can go to my gallery at page 4 for three photos of the scoop placed over a 280z hood for some idea of perspective.

g

g

You know, if you are serious about using this style scoop; drive on out I10 past Palm Springs to Indio/Bermuda Dunes. Bring a tape measure and I'll pull this down off the rack and you can take measurements off the original. I'll need a week's notice.

g

I have the photos you need, but I've not been able to fathom all the mysteries of the new Hybridz software. However, you can go to my gallery at page 4 for three photos of the scoop placed over a 280z hood for some idea of perspective.

That first pic was perfect, thanks! What a great find on your part, and I appreciate the offer to check it out, but I should be able to use those pics to illustrate what I am looking for at a body shop. I didn't want to get just-another-beefy-cowl and ruin the lines of the car, and I think this particular scoop is complimentary to the body style.