HybridZ

Run and Crank Positions

rvandivort

Hi, wondering about the pg 6 admonitions (in the Megasquirt manual- for wiring and sensors) to supply power in both positions. Been looking at the schematics in the Chilton manual. The interlock relay is probably key..but I come from the old school where ignition and starting are the same thing..how else can the thing start? I have a 76Z june model. I am using the MS power supply board going into a V3. I have also found that the color coding on the wires off the former fuel pump relay are not consistant with the manual....blacks are striped white and two blues go into the system---did a continuity check between one of these and the connector under the passenger seat. One was the fuel pump.Yahoo!! The other..forget it.So..What`s the deal here? We have the black/yellow coming off the starter side..and the black/blue off the ignition side going to the resistor. Which ones ...or both go to switched power on the relay board? Thanks

The point the MS manual is making is that you need to connect to a point where you have battery voltage BOTH when in the crank and run position. Some accessories such as a heater fan do not get power during cranking. I don't know the specifics of the later 280z models, but why not tap off the +12V supplied to the coil? That will be hot for both crank and run. Or you could test the various leads coming off of the ignition switch via trial and error with a DVM.