HybridZ

Removing Half Shaft U-Joints... PLEASE HELP!

Challenger

That's good advice about minding the needle bearings.My experience was that the suckers kept falling out of place.

I think it is best to put the caps on from each side a little at a time, since the yoke hole centerlines aren't completely parallel. If you put on one side completely, you won't be able to get the other side on from mis-alignment.

Good Luck Challenger!! I know you can do this. :wink:

So you hammered on the yokes and that was able to free things up? Can anyone chime in on the proper procedure for doing these? As this seems very different from the way i've ever done u-joints. I mean, hitting the yokes would work on any u-joint, i'm just curious if there's something different about the Z's that would make tapping the caps not work?

Well I did get them off and it was quite easy.. As in the first picture I posted, (but this time all the clips were removed, stupid shucks, should have checked for myself) I hammered on the area AROUND the cap, the cap begins to come out of the yoke upwards and then you can pull it out. Flip it over to the other side and repeat. The other cap will come out then you can remove the yoke.

Now you just have the ujoint in the halfshaft, so this time I put it in the vice with the u joint stubs bridging the gap. I took a socket a little bigger then the cap and started tapping on it as it sat around the cap (pushing on the yoke again). Does the same thing as before, cap comes out the top, you flip it over and repeat, then you can pull the u joint out. Done!!

Thanks for the help everyone, what I learned from this is always double check if there are indeed clips, and actually use your brain. :)

• 2 weeks later...

what about just cutting the crosses out? worked good for me, a lot better than trying to cut one of the caps out, i dont think the heat would affect the yokes any more than straight up heating the yokes with the torch. i havent seen any difference in mine, no shakes or anything, no looseing after several full throttle burnouts, rearend is a lot nicer with new u-joints too.

mine were rusted in nice and tight, took off the clips, and sprayed them with pb for a week, still couldnt beat them out. went through the log book i got with the car, and couldnt find any replacement of the u-joints. im assuming they were the originals from 1979. the car also sat for almost ten years before i could work on it. after struggling with the drivers side for so long, i just cut them out of the pass side. took about 15 mins. then hit them with a 3 lb mini sledge, came right out, didnt even have to pb them, i think the heat helped. i also heated up the yokes first on the drivers side, to no avail. next time they should come out a lot easier i imagine.