HybridZ

Still deciding on a motor for my Z31...

I'm pulling my V6 this weekend so I can start a V8 swap. I've looked into the VH45DE, Olds 350 (always loved Oldsmobiles), and Chevy 350, and keep coming back to the SBC for the common reasons (cheaper, write-ups available, etc.). I've thought about a turbocharged 350, but I doubt I can afford that right now.

The power level that I'm after isn't clear at the moment. All I know is that I want my Z to be faster than my friend's Merkur XR4Ti. He bought it for 500 bucks pre-modded (lots of electrical gremlins), so we don't know what its laying down. All I can tell you is that it can keep up with '06 GT Mustangs. In a light to light race, he can stay side by side with one, and win if he launches right (5 speed manual). Both cars weigh about 3000 lbs.

What I'm thinking about now is buying a '76 4 bolt block from my neighbor and building it for boost, but leaving out the turbos until I can afford them (probably next winter), because I want room to grow powerwise. I don't want to build an engine and be stuck with a set power level. My friend can always turn up the boost if my car is faster. I want to be able to do the same. I realize that I may be looking for too much power, though.

I've seen a few members on here with boosted small blocks. I read through some threads, but didn't learn much as far as parts combos are concerned. What sort of cranks, cams, rods, etc. do you guys reccomend? Any input will be greatly appriciated. If it matters, I want a manual transmission.