HybridZ

Quick 700R4 help

Guest Aaron

This is not for a Z, but you guys are the best source of information on the net. I searched the archives, and could not find an answer to my question. My dad is building a 49 Pontiac with a Buick 455 and a 700R4 trans. My questions is this: we will be fabricating the trans crossmember this weekend, and we need to know what transmission mount to use. He got the transmission from a builder that used to be on his tool route, and we don't know what it came out of, and it does not have the mount. What year/model of car should we get a trans mount for? I would assume one from a Camaro/Firebird would be the best, but what year models?

Thanks in advance.

AN

Guest Russ240z

I don't have my JTR book handy but I remember them recommending a tail housing from a Caprice model 700r4. The reason was to move the mount further from the pan to allow exhaust to be routed easier. Anyone with a book handy can post the part number from GM.

Guest Anonymous

From what I understand the 1959 thru 1987 Chevrolet standard style trans mount had two bolt holes (3/8 inch diameter?) about four inchs directly apart that connected to the transmission housing and only one bolt to the transmission mount. A fairly simple set up. Look to see what the bottom mounting area of the trans housing you have and if it fits this description requirement. The 1982 up Camaro mount was different and I do not know how different. Someone will come along eventually and answer your question more fully and accurately than I can.

With the caprice tail housing the mounting bolt holes are now lower 1/2" or so making for a better alignment with the rear end in a Z car.

Part number for the housing is:$198.03 GM# 8673406

For the mount it's self I used a stock GM camaro I think.$ 25.25 GM# 475940

Thanks,

Dave

FWIW, the LS1 auto trans mount is a common fbody upgrade for their Lt1 mount that they snap regularly once tweaked for track. The non-GM mounts they found quite harsh and transmitting lots of vibes into the car. I haven't used it personally but local friends including 1320 racers swear by it.