HybridZ

280zx turbo trans in 72 240 w/l28?

Guest 88t3ss

Guest 88t3ss

hey i have a 72 240 with a 75 l28 in it and i recently blew up the 5 speed and the 4 speed that i had for it. so now ive got a 280zx turbo trans(the t5 i belive) and was wondering what i need to know to put it in. mount differences, drive shaft, clutch etc.. your help is greatly appreciated thanx in advance

oh and i have a open r200 in it already

I'm putting a T5 in my '72 also and have been able to gether some info about the swap.

The driveline is different...the front shaft on it has to be a special one of the T5. The T5 drivelines matched up with the turbo R200 which had a different flange than the normal R200. So you end up having to get a driveline made or modified to fit no matter what.

The tranny crossmember needs to be modified. The center of the T5 mount has to be cut. The center of the stock mount has to be cut, and the center section for the T5 needs to mate up with the outer sections of the '72 mount. I haven't done it yet so I don't have any pics.

For the clutch, the turbos and 2 + 2's had a 240mm clutch and the rest of them had a 225mm clutch. The throwout bearing collar goes with the flywheel, so if you want to use the 240mm clutch, you need a throwout bearing collar to fit the 240mm clutch, and vice versa. The shift fork on the '72 has the adjustable clutch slave cylinder, and the T5 one did not, so if you want to use the adjustable slave cylinder, you need to swap shift forks and use your old one.

Thats what I've been able to gather so far...I'm sure there is more info out there. I hope to do my swap within a month or so.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

When I put my T5 in my 75' 280z I had to do a couple of things. I used the T5 slave cylinder bought new from Nissan, Throw out bearing(same) clutch(same), tranny Mount (Same), and here are the changes. Build new driveshaft, cut the tranny crossmember and reweld it Forward 3/4 in. Bend the shifter back at a 90 and then back up to fit my shifting hole.