HybridZ

Dim rigth head ligth / position ligth back flashing

Hi All

I am new it to z (have 1973 -240 Z)- and I have a small (hopeful) problem with my rigth headligth.

When I got the car, both head ligths where very dim, only giving very littel ligth.

To get more ligth (shortly to get though MOT) I installed 80W / 100 W bulb, BUT:

After 1 one houre the left headligth went very dim.

Now I have installed 55 w / 60 W bulb (new) again, but the left headligth stays dim.

I have checked voltage and it reads about 11 volts (both on rigth and left side) meausered at the connection in the front.

I have takes the left side wiring, from connection in the front out, and tried it on the rigth side, and here it works fine (so wiring to bulb in left side seem ok)

One funny thing is, is I unplug rigth headligth, there is now ligth (what so ever) in left side, is that normal (serial connected)?

Can anyone give me a hint where to look for a solution to the problem?

Where is the relay for the headligth located?

I also need to know it the following is normal on a 240 Z:

When I use the turn indicator, the side position ligths (yellow front / red back) also blinks?

Is that normal?

My problem is, that it is not legal in Denmak that the back red position ligths blinks, so I need to get them to stay on (as the position lamps ) in the tail.

I hope some one can help me, so I can get my z though MOT, then pay registration fee, and then get some licens plats.

best regards

Thomas

I am afried so.

But what is this fuselink - a wire with a fuse inside?

Is this also for the headligth?

What is the best book to buy on technicial tips for 240Z?

I have haynes manual for my 911, but it is of very littel use, due to bad pictures.

Is haynes for 240 of any good?

Ok, to answer some questions:

The fuseable link is in a small clear topped box on the passenger side of the firewall. It is a wire that is only rated up to a certain amount of current or it will melt and disconnect.

As for your Side markers, I dont think they are supposed to blink. If its not something unique to Zs in that part of the world, it is something someone did and it should be easy to find the cut and crimped wires and put it back to normal.

As for headlight relays on a Z, there arnt any. Why? I dont know. Datsun put them on the roadsters but I guess they got too cocky with there wiring to put them on the z. Due to this, If you put a high wattage bulb in it, the current passes through the whole system and can melt some wires. Its just a thought but one of the wires going to the bulb, or ground comming from it could have partially melted and be arching.

It is very advisable to install a headlight relay so you can put more power to the bulb without overloading the system. Also I noticed that if you use the Sylvia (sp?) silver star bulbs they are much brighter than normal Halogen without overloading it.

Manuals, I have been very pleased with Haynes' manual. (other than the fact that they say you can just pull out a spindle pin with your hand :evil:, In reality it takes an act of God to get that thing out) The best place is a factory service manual, If you can find one. Im pretty sure that someone has posted a downloadable FSM somewhere on here.

Hope this helps some,

Nick

the good this about getting a new (old) car, is that you learn a lot.

The problem with the ligth was a fuse, that was only "semi" blown, that I have never seen before, now I also know where the fuse box is.:?

Have also found out, that the hole wiring in the back is messed up, need to cut some wires and connect them the rigth way.

Must buy Haynes

best regards

Thomas