HybridZ

Does the voltmeter regulate the cars electrical?

david04

So I took off my dash to install a new tach on my 280z.

I've put everything back, and the HAZARDs (and the interior lights) do not work unless the car is turned on.

My built-in voltmeter is now acting funky~ when the car is off the bar reads all the way to the left, when I turn on my car, the bar is all the way to the right.

I took out my dash again to make sure I've plugged everything and it everything is in its place. Whats going on?

You might have the voltmeter wired incorrectly. A voltmeter must be wired parellel to a resistor (measures the change in current accross the resistor) and a ammeter is wired in line with the current. (it measures the actual flow of electricity) If you use one in place of another without rewiring it you could see all sorts of problems.

Or possibly the resistor that it is measuring across is burned out. What it uses as a resistor, I have no idea, but if the resistance is too high it could be high enough to pass through the voltmeter and do some strange things.