HybridZ

Modded steering shaft.

EMWHYR0HEN

like challenger said, it helps absorb some of the vibrations and reduce the amount of feedback into the steering wheel. i have heard that urathane couplers just make it feel so harsh on the road. idk, i just found it curious that the op didnt use a coupler.

Lloyd

Myron;

Wow. Nice welds. I don't think I've ever seen an ugly one in your posts. A thought: maybe consider securing all threaded fasteners with safety wire?

I've seen other sources but here's a starting point http://www.aircraftspruce.com search for: safety wire

Keep up the great work!

Doug

Doug,

Thanks. I think there's plenty of ugly welds on my car. I just dont show them :wink:

I dont think saftey wire is needed because there is a jam nut on the hiem and lock washers on all the bolts.

it helps absorb some of the vibrations and reduce the amount of feedback into the steering wheel.

Lloyd

That's exactly why I and other people remove or replace them with plastic/urethane. I drove my car daily with a urethane coupler for 2 years without any problems. It's an S30 so it's not such a big deal IMO.

• 11 months later...
that joint reduces alot of bumpiness and decreases the amount of bumpsteer.

thats just from what i learned from wyotech.

Wow... :shock: I fail to see the effect on bumpsteer.

i have heard that urathane couplers just make it feel so harsh on the road.

Absolutely untrue in my experience; I've had a urethane couple installed in my Z for about 8 years, and daily drove it for 3 of those years. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again as it made significant improvements to steering feel without introducing much in the way of harshness or vibration.

For what it's worth, in British Columbia it's not legal to weld steering components like you've done. I am sure they are trying to protect people from themselves with this type of law, but I would also suspect there is an ounce of history and truth behind the reasons for the law. What I take from that is "be damn sure" your welds are good.