HybridZ

Can anyone identify this differential?

Guest Dagon Khan

Guest Dagon Khan

I've inherited a frankenstein truck!:D

It was originally a 1981 C10 Chevrolet 1/2T pickup. At some stage in its life the V8 petrol engine was ripped out and replaced with a Nissan RD28 diesel engine and gear box.

I'm in the process of ripping it apart again and I have no idea whatsoever as to what differential is currently in there. The only thing I can say is that I have asked some of the Chevrolet people on their forums if it is a Chevrolet one and they are adamant that it is not. Some suggested that it may be a Ford 9" but that appears to be wrong as well.

I have a feeling it's a Nissan, I know the engine and gearbox came out of an old Nissan Laurel. I've also calculated the ratio to be around 2.73 (+/-) which is pretty much what Chevrolets of that vintage were. I know the brake drums have been changed and the Axle shaft (half shaft) have been modified to take Japanese wheels but not sure about the axle.

The markings are not absolutely clear but something like 32R and (3)8811V01, the 1st digit it’s not clear if it’s a 3, 2 or an 8. Other marks are ND 875.

Here's some photos anyway:-

backaxleflangeys0.th.jpgbackaxleflange2yy9.th.jpgdiffmarksrh0.th.jpg

diffmarks2lx0.th.jpgreardiff2sz9.th.jpgreardiff2tj0.th.jpg

If anyone has any idea what that might be I would be grateful.:icon14:

• 2 weeks later...
I've inherited a frankenstein truck!:D

It was originally a 1981 C10 Chevrolet 1/2T pickup. At some stage in its life the V8 petrol engine was ripped out and replaced with a Nissan RD28 diesel engine and gear box.

I'm in the process of ripping it apart again and I have no idea whatsoever as to what differential is currently in there. The only thing I can say is that I have asked some of the Chevrolet people on their forums if it is a Chevrolet one and they are adamant that it is not. Some suggested that it may be a Ford 9" but that appears to be wrong as well.

I have a feeling it's a Nissan, I know the engine and gearbox came out of an old Nissan Laurel. I've also calculated the ratio to be around 2.73 (+/-) which is pretty much what Chevrolets of that vintage were. I know the brake drums have been changed and the Axle shaft (half shaft) have been modified to take Japanese wheels but not sure about the axle.

The markings are not absolutely clear but something like 32R and (3)8811V01, the 1st digit it’s not clear if it’s a 3, 2 or an 8. Other marks are ND 875.

Here's some photos anyway:-

backaxleflangeys0.th.jpgbackaxleflange2yy9.th.jpgdiffmarksrh0.th.jpg

diffmarks2lx0.th.jpgreardiff2sz9.th.jpgreardiff2tj0.th.jpg

If anyone has any idea what that might be I would be grateful.:icon14:

That looks a lot like a 7.5 inch Mazda/Ford Ranger diesel rear end. Gear ratio should be 3.308. About 1982 or thereabouts. I bought one and tried to fit it into my MazdaSpeed M5. Didn't work. Early Mazda Rx7 axles will fit and think they were 4 holers.

That is my guess.

g

g