HybridZ

Strut Assembly 81 ZXT different from 82/83 ZXT?

81280zxtc

Fellow ZX owners,

I have run into a problem. I had a very old Wilwood brake set up on my 81 ZXT which I tried to have serviced in time for the Z meet in CT this week. To make a long story short, the set up is no longer in Wilwood's system, and I had to go with an entirely new set up because of parts availability.

I searched the net and found a company called JSK Innovations (jskinnovations.com) who makes brackets that mount on the existing caliper mounts, as well as hats for the rotors. I had ordered a kit, along with the recommended rotor and caliper parts and began the installation.

Upon completing the install, the caliper does not clear the ball joint / end link connecting the spindle. If I reverse the brackets, the caliper sits about 1/4" too high. From my recollection, I think the 81 (production date of 5/81) is different from the rest of the ZX's produced in regards to brake parts from an 82 or 83 set up.

If you peruz his web page, http://www.jskinnovations.com/datsun.htm and view this z with this set up: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=77586869&albumId=1140351

You can see that the caliper sits way up on the strut mount no way near the steering linkage.

I've called JSK's and we're both scratching our heads on this. He's installed many kits without hiccups, and this is the first one he's come across that has this issue. He's offered to come to the city from Albany to try to figure this out, but I want to confirm his thought of the strut being different.

The question I'm posing, are the strut assemblies on later model zx's 82's / 83's different from an 81 in regards to the mounting of the caliper? Spindle attached or separate?

If all this holds true, is there anyone who can recommend where I can locate parts?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon,

Thanks for the info. I just realized the caliper brackets were modified, so I'm looking for strut assemblies.

I've searched a few pages, and very very expensive.

I'll try the used sector first. If you know of anyone parting out an 81 or 83, that would help alot.

Thanks for the reply.

Rob