HybridZ

m30 diff

freakshow

I have a 1990 m30 diff, i have read up on it a little, i know it is a 3.9:1 ratio, and is beefy. I also read that it has an abs sensor on the snout. the infiniti site (f31club) says it is in the yoke. could i swap the yoke off of a 79 r200 onto the infiniti diff? my diff is whining pretty bad, and recently developed a clunk, i think my rear is toast. it would be nice to just swap the rear out from under the infiniti, I had planned on swapping the rear ends this winter, but I dont really want to have to get a new drive shaft. so the question i suppose is can I swap just the yoke on the differential, or am I going to have to get a new drive shaft?

I know the rears are different, I was liking the idea of cvs instead of u-joints. a lot less maintenance.

also, I know the infiniti is a lot more rare than datsuns, but i will post my progress and pics of rear end swap come winter. snow starts flying, datsun takes a nap.

nothing? I posted a similar question on the m30 site, and got nothing. has anybody used the m30 diff? Is it so rare that im going to be the first to use it? I dont want to get everything all tore apart and find out I wasted my time. has anybody ripped the infiniti diff apart? I see some info on it, but no one has posted anything about the yoke differences, all I can find is that the snout of the m30 diff is longer. I love this car but I am also broke. being able to use this differential will save me a lot of dough, especially since here in michigan, finding datsun parts is harder than anything else. Please help me out here.

I have an M30 diff in the garage. It does have the abs sensor on the top of the diff just behind the pinion flange. To me i doesn't look like it would interfere with anything.as long as the driveshaft flange matches, it should be a bolt in.

Joe

I got a little something from the m30 guys, the diff itself is longer, yoke might be interchangeable, but the pinion itself is longer. no matter what, I am going to have to get my driveshaft shortened, but not by much. could you measure the diff and tell me the difference between them? do you know if the spline count on the two is the same? size of u-joints different?