HybridZ

BLOWER OR N.O.S.

Guest nosz350

Guest nosz350

I JUST NEED TO GET SOME IDEAS ABOUT this. i've got everything for NOS, but i can buy a prochager P600B for $1300.00 . my engine is at a point that can go either way. plus does any body got any aluminumheads for sale???

Guest Anonymous

Well a couple of ways of looking at it. The NOS systems will be cheaper but will have to be filled (frequently if your foot is heavy and its armed), the supercharger will be there always and won't need refilling, although you may have to put belts on it. I think its a personal preference. I'd go blower, but that depends on how good the blower is for the money. Depends also if you like the sounds of the blower drive all the time, some people like it, for others its nails on a chalkboard. Both will deliver good power. (Could always get the blower and add NOS to that later, or vice versa. icon_wink.gif Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,

Lone

Okay, first of all I'm a BIG lover of blowers and of ATI blowers in particular icon_smile.gif Forced inudction rox!

However, $1300 is some cash and that blower is one of ATI's lower end units. For that price does it include an intercooler? Is it new or has ATO recently rebuilt it? Will the brackets and pullies that come with it fit your engine bay? How much can you recoup selling your NOS setup?

Unless that sucker darn near drops in place, and I doubt it will, then I'd be hesitant. I'm not sure that's a steal if you're going to have to fab everything up to make it fit. Can your fuel system handle the blower? Are you EFI or are you running a carb? If carb then I'd be REAL hesitant as you'll be spending money to modify that too!

On the other hand the NOS setup is pretty much done it sounds like. Sure, it costs bux to fill but if your motor is decent you shouldn't really need to run it much anyway right? icon_rolleyes.gif IT doesn't advertise itself like the blower WILL either.

Much as I like blowers I'm not sure this is something I'd jump on with both feet in a big hurry. Make sure you know th ereal WHOLE cost before doing it. IF you DO do the blower though please take lot's of pics and tell us what's involved icon_smile.gif

Guest JAMIE T

(nitrous)INJECTION IS NICE, BUT I'D RATHER BE BLOWN icon_biggrin.gif I have had a blown car, there is nothing like down shifting to 3rd at 60mph, and layin' rubba. Its also cool when you ease into the loud pedal in 2nd gear with no tire spin, but when the rpm comes up and boost comes on(strong) the tires brake loose with no clutch action. My Mustang would pretty much do that in any gear due to being light in the behind and Z rated tires icon_rolleyes.gif My brother experienced this via a gaurd rail.

Jamie

Deathstar Z

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: JAMIE T ]

Me too. Nitrous is fun, but I'd want the power adder to not go away if I used it much icon_wink.gif. I know roots blowers are not the best way to go, but the B&M 144 always catches my eye as a moderate power adder. If I could get 75-100 hp out of it with 6-8 psi, that'd be cool. With 9.7:1 I wonder if this is doable on pump gas, as it heats the fuel/air. I also wonder if it would fit under a stock hood with a Holley and a re-routed intake tube from the Holley to a remote filter.

Just dreaming.

Guest Anonymous

I was looking at those as well would definately make a statement. My hood would have tons of clearance now, but maybe in the future. If you could find one with a side air inlet, an eaton supercharger (one of the smaller units) might be something that could be put on a smallblock with a little effort. Not a huge horsepower unit, but probably an easy 100 horse. With a side inlet (and not from the back like some of them used in the Pontiac's) might allow the carb to be to the side and still low enough to get the hood closed.

A turbo or two in front of the engine puffing air into a TPI (or a custom sheetmetal manifold) might be pretty darn cool too. $$$ icon_smile.gif

Oh well, just some out loud ideas'

Regards,

Lone

Guest Night_rider_383

Some of this well me fact and some just my look on it.

I'm not a big fan on nos, i have seen way too many high buck engines fall to there deaths cause of it but now i'm talking about dual set-up 250 hp plate with a 500 hp or better fogger at the same time.

Nos is cheaper to start with but one bottle will only last about 8-10 runs down the 1/4. 30-45 bucks a pop for refills adds up fast.

Blowers is a one time price. Makes just as much hp with more torque. The bigger blowers can even make more power than the biggest nos kit. If you got a good strong bottom end, run mild boost and keep your timing right then a blower wont give you no probs. They also give power soon as you get on the gas where you have to flip on the nos. plus whats cooler than a blower. Just watch your c/r, and cam profile, also you need alittle bigger exhaust with a blower. The carb aint no prob run you about 20 bucks to tune it for the blower.

Guest RON JONES

I had a B&M 144 on a 78 280Z years ago and can tell You that it won't fit under a stock hood.Now this was not a JTR mounted Motor,it was the hooker style mounts(scarab?).The top of the carb was just at hood level.With the JTR(how much lower is it mounted?)and a cowl hood you might make it.

Guest RON JONES

The motor in the car was a 355 with old 461x Heads.Forged Pistons and the bottom end was stock.The Heads were also stock and it had a hyd. cam that B&M recomended.The car went 11.40's.That little Super Charger Made a lot of power!I'd use one again if I got a good deal on it used.I wouldn't pay the close to $2000 they go for new.If I remember correctly I was getting 7lbs out of it.

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: RON JONES ]

Okay, back to the question at hand...

NOS - already ready to go but $30-45 a pop to refill, not there all the time. Might be able to sell this setup for $400 maybe?

Blower - as much or more power, there all the time, noisy, likely needs custom brackets, costs $1300 plus possibly a carb unless this is an injected motor. May or may not come with an intercooler so boost will have to be kept low or an intercooler sourced - this is why I've been so keen on what the turbo guys are finding out with their NPRs BTW :-)

Don't get me wrong guys, I LOVE blowers and have had two of them plus a set of turbos on my Mustang. The feeling when boost comes on is awesome! I'm also considering one for the Z icon_smile.gif

But the P600 is the lower end blower ATI makes - might be used?, at that price it probably doesn't have an intercooler, may require brackets to be built, and if this is a carb tuning it will be painful as well as possibly require a reworked carb. I've spoken to a Mustang guy who had a high dollar ATI blow-through carb setup. He had a worked carb built for it. I was thinking about my Z and love of blowwers when I pulled him aside and asked about it. His response was that it worked well but that he hated the carb tuning and that EFI would've run MUCH better.

The B&M is a different animal - it's draw through and IMHO probably easier to tune with a carb. To each his own, I want a blower but will probably start with NOS (maybe) and my carb. Blower will be done AFTER EFI and ONLY if it's not fast enough. (shrug)

P.S. -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=591943568&r=0&t=0 icon_biggrin.gif

Guest nosz350

Hey guys thanks for all the info but i'm still don't know which one.To clear up some quiestion on my engine,it is carb.,the kit i'm looking at is not intercooled,but it does have all the bracket with the kit.here is what i'm trying to beat,i took my car to the track last nite,e.t. street tires,no NOS,and not alot of tire spin the best i got was a 12.47 at 114 mph. i now the NOS can help that alot but just how much could the blower help? my car has the scrab set up in it now if i would go to the JTR set up would it really help that much? as far the % of weight its not that much differt.My dad has a set of longacres scales for his dirt track car and ive had my car on his scale aready.Is the JTR kit that much better on cooling? and why,just with the engine being back away from the radiator?

Guest Anonymous

Ron,

How did that setup work powerwise? Was it a pretty decent gain for the little boost involved? Thanks.

Regards,

Lone