HybridZ

aluminum R230?

Guest Blazer406

Guest Blazer406

Is there such an animal as an aluminum cased R230 with the LSD? What cars had the R230 with the LSD and what ratios were available? I am debating on weather to persue the R230 setup or a complete corvette setup from a mid '80's vette with the aluminum center section. I want a heavy duty alternative with minimal or no weight gain.... :D ..... I know.... I can't have my cake and eat it too.....

Is it possible to just bolt up (fabing mounts of course) the complete corvette setup and just use different backspacing on the rear wheels to compensate?

TIA

Guest Anonymous

Maybe with some wide rear flares I think. Scottie-GNZ would be the guy to ask about that, he's got the vette rear in his as you may know. The vette is easy to shorten though, the halfshafts are just like a driveshaft, the spring situation is handled by converting to coilovers instead of the transverse leaf spring and by the looks of Scottie's photo's the outboard bearing carriers are supported by 2 links on each side sorta like a 4 link setup.

Regards,

Lone

What is the rear end in the J30? It has the V6 similar to the 300ZX, so I'm wondering if it is also an R230? Maybe R200? Has anyone bothered checking? I'll have to crawl under one next time I'm in the vicinity of one. Would that look wierd? I'll have to ask permission first I suppose...

Davy

Here's information that I've got on file. I think its pretty accurate. R230s are found on 90-94 Infinity Q45s and 90-96 300ZXs, both turbocharged and normally aspirated. All are viscous limited slip. I don't know the ratio on the Q45 but the turbo 300ZX is 3.61 and the non-turbo is 4.08. Maybe someone else knows the Q45 ratio.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Guest jens

Wouldnt it be a idea to use the vette centersection with custom axles but still using struts to avoid the problem of having no upper control arm like vettes and jaguars. That way you can break an axle without ending totaling the car like some jaguar/vette rearend users has done.

Guest Aaron

The R230 in the Q45 is a 3.54 ratio. I have also read that the CV shafts in a Q are much larger diameter than the 300. They are also longer.

Guest Blazer406

The more I look at it, the weight is a bigger factor than I realized initally. I am leaning on the corvette (all aluminum) swap provided I can find one without breaking the bank. I may revisit the R200/R230 delimina if I can't locate a reasonable cost vette donor. I already have a R200 from a '76 280 auto car. I am tempted to just weld up the spider gears ,change to a much stiffer spring and upgrade the brakes...... What do you think? My horsepower at the wheels is going to be around 375 minimum :D ..... if I don't turbocharge/squeeze it.