HybridZ

383 t56? 5 spd? 200/700r4???

denny411

What do I need to put a t56 behind a 383 sbc? Is there a specific flywheel needed?

What is the strongest or most reliable model year of t56? and what kind of performance upgrades are there for the t56?

I`m tossing around ideas in my head. I`ve intended on useing either a 200r4 or a 700r4 but I really like driving a stick. What are the 5 spd options? I`ve read previous posts saying that first gear in the t56 is almost useless, effectively making it a 5 spd. Maybe I should just go with the 5 to start with.

Does anyone have a suggestion or recomendation on a nearly bullet proof 5 spd that wouldn`t require my left testicle as a sacrifice? :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Check Weir's Hot Rod Products 707-647-0513. They have a kit to mount an LT-1 T56 to the Chevy V8 using the standard flywheel and 26-spline clutch. McLeod is also working on an adapter kit.

Guest Anonymous

Centerforce also makes a flywheel for that application. Bullet proof is relative, how much power are you planning to put out? Most of the T56's don't require much unless you feed it way more than say 500 hp, its specs say 450 ft/lbs of torque from the 94-97 boxes, but it has to be taking more than that safely (a bit of a cushion beyond that spec number.) as some of the F-body cars are running more than that. I'm sure it has its limits, not sure what that is (nor do I want to find out, that'd be pricey I'm sure).

Five speeds, there are only two I know of that will hold a bit of torque, that being the Tremec or the Nash (whatever its called these days) 5 speed, but its not a overdrive 5th which would suck with the Datsun gearing available because of the low first gear and no OD.

Regards,

Lone