HybridZ

240SX diff problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This isn't really Z related, but you guys are a lot smarter than most of the people on the 240SX board, so here goes...

I have a 90 240SX SE. The rear diff is howling. Is it gone forever? Is it rebuildable? What exactly causes the howl?

Thanks for your help.

Guest Anonymous

Nick,

Sorry to hear about the diff. Probably a bad bearing, usually caused by low to no oil. I know, I've toasted my share. Go to the junk yard and pull one with a 30 day warrenty. Drain and replace the diff oil before you replace it. Worth a try. Mark

This sounds like a general Diff question. Have you checked for leaks (low oil) around the diff. And don't go by the appearance. My 240SX diff looks like it's got fresh oil on it, but in reality it's the hard undercoating (slight sheen to it) that's been oversprayed from the factory. Check the backlash (forward and backward). Doing this with the driveshaft will show about 10 degrees of driveshaft play to be about normal. The howl can be a result of excessive or incorrect gear mess. If the carrier bearings are shot (or pinion), then this could be the result. If they are the problem, then the sooner they are replace, the greater the chance of being able to salvage the gear set without permanent damage.