HybridZ

So I'm a total megasquirt newbie

Guest scared0o0rabbit

Guest scared0o0rabbit

And I've been reading for hours and I just can't seem to come up with a couple of answers.

I've got a 2.2 board (disassembled still), a relay board (disassembled still), and a stimulator (assembled today). From what I've been reading, it sounds like the relay board isn't really all that useful, so I'll go ahead and assemble it for practice and if I don't end up needing it I can always ebay it or something.

My plan (for now at least) is to build a high compression N/A engine one of these days. Unfortunately my z is grounded for atleast the next year due to cash flow issues (in other words I'm poor). My eventual goal is to be running MS'n'S with EDIS, though to start with I imagine I'll just work on getting the MS'n'S going without the EDIS and worry about EDIS later when I'm not so poor (and I've had time to scour the local yards for the parts I need).

So my main question I guess is are there any specific hardware changes I have to make to the actual MS hardware to support MS'n'S, and will I have to make (further?) changes to the MS'n'S hardware down the road when I go with EDIS? If so, what are they?

This is the guide I've been following: http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mass.htm . If there are changes that need to be made and you could point me to the approximate place in there that the changes would have to be I'd appreciate it. I'd much rather not have to remove a component later if I don't have to, and want to build this thing to be what I need from the start.

I'm definitely not as scared of giving EDIS a shot as I thought I would be after spending a good chunk of my day reading on this site and megasquirt.info, and am actually looking forward to giving it a shot.

Guest scared0o0rabbit

So the DIYautotune link says,

"Certainly you could use it the exact same way and follow the same document combining the MS with the HEI-4 module and end up with the same result, but what about that snazzy new IGBT High Current Ignition Coil Driver that's built into the PCBv3.0 ECU? I was recently contacted by a customer that wanted to try and go this route, and I told him I'd make the necessary modifications and document the process for others to follow... so here we go!"

does the High Current Ignition Coil Driver refer to running an EDIS system without the EDIS module as mentioned here:

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#edis

when it says that they recommend not using the EDIS module and instead using the VB921 FET's to control the coils?

If so, does that mean that it would be better for me to go with a v3.0 board as opposed to a 2.2 board if I wanted to run a system like this? While I'd prefer to not have to change boards I could do it (I figure I could build and sell my 2.2 board and order a 3.0 board). If this is the case I suppose I could build the 2.2 megasquirt and use it without spark until I've got it all figured out that way and then swap to the 3.0 board. If the 2.2 board will work, what additional parts do I need to buy beyond what comes in a normal 2.2 kit? If the 3.0 is the best route to go on this what would I need to buy that doesn't come in the normal 3.0 kits?

So if I'm not using the EDIS module per the recommendation at the msextra.com link above does that mean when I'm looking for parts I just need the VR, the 36-1, and the coil pack(s)?