HybridZ

yet another media blasting question

redneck1545

ive been toying around with orbital sanding and such for quite awhile and have decided that im just gonna go ahead and dig into my pockets and blast it all!

i had a guy a long time ago said he would blast and paint for 400

the ENTIRE car inside and out and all the parts...

needless to say i cant get ahold of him now...and i dont know if i would truely trust that price with a thin metal z car!

so heres my question

has anyone had any experience with STARBLAST

or AMBERBLAST

the star blast stuff is on northern tool for 30 per 50lb bucket...contains less than 5% silica...just wondering if its safe to use on the body...i know it would be great for interior. i have a BUNCH of body rust andplastic media is too hard to clean up and walnuts aint got the cutting power to get rid of all the rust

the amberblast stuff is sized in 40/60 and 20/40... silica and coal by product free!!!!its only 10 per 50lb!!!!!!

just wondering if anyone has dealt with either of these two products and what size grit to go with if choosing the amber blast stuff?

thanks for all ure help!

Well lets see here i was in the same sitiation and with mycar I started knowing nothing about media.Most people in my area "columbus ohio"quoted me anywher from 350 dollars to 500.I mad the mistake and got cocky at first trying to do my engine bay with a hand held blaster with walnut shells in my poor mothers garage.It will MESS UP a one car garge blasting ANYTHING.wallnut shells are good mostly for polishing like for example a tranny or something soft like that not so much for rust.The smaller the media and silica content the better.If you really want to get the car bare take it somewhere like you planned but i dont think you can find a media shop who will do it for less then 400?

yeah thats what im having trouble with...i figured get a harbor frieght 110lb pot blaster for 160...either the star blast or amber blast stuff...a couple tarps for reclamation and do this thing out side for 300 or so since i can't get a hold of that guy to do it for me. but i deffinatly know walnut shells are too expensive and wont remove rust. facing the facts i need somin cheap, but not agressive enough or full of lung killing, cancer inducing, particles to blast my car with. rather not do it with glass or plastic beads as i gotta be somewhat environmentally friendly since im doin it outside!

let me know if anyone has any advice!