HybridZ

MSA CF 240z bumpers

janaka

I've done some searching and I'm at the point where I'm finally ready to drop both boat ancor's on the 280z in favour of the 240z bumpers. I've read that the FG bumpers from MSA are kind of hit and miss with initial quality and I am almost certain that I will not find a set of chrome bumper in the condition that I would want for my car. So that put the carbon Fiber bumpers next on the idea list. I love the look of them and my wife doesn't not like them which is a bonus. How is the fitment/quality of the CF pieces for those who have them?

I'd love to see some more pictures of them if possible as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Ive heard some nasty things about the carbon fiber zg's, wondering if its the same for the bumpers.

Like you said, the fg bumpers are really hit and miss. Mine were pretty bad, gouged, scratches, wavy... Im assuming that the CF would need to be alittle better so you can maintain the mesh look.

Ive heard some nasty things about the carbon fiber zg's, wondering if its the same for the bumpers.

Like you said, the fg bumpers are really hit and miss. Mine were pretty bad, gouged, scratches, wavy... Im assuming that the CF would need to be alittle better so you can maintain the mesh look.

Exactly, I believe your posts were the ones that made me shy away from the FG bumpers actually. Since I want to leave these 'raw' so to speak so the CF can be seen they would need to basically be good to go (short of clear coating I guess) out of the box, or only minor triming etc.

I'm hoping someone can speak from experience

Guest 280ZForce

I think the poor fg bumper issue was resolved few years ago. I bought mine and picked mine up from msa like 3 years ago, as they are local to me and all the fg bumpers I saw there at the time looked to be pretty good quality to me. Didn't take me any trimming or anything to get mine to fit, bolted them right up and was good to go.

There is a recent thread over at www.classiczcars.com discussing a recent purchase of the CF bumpers. His primary complaint was weave separation.

My CF BRE spook had some weave separation, but nothing that was noticeable from 5 feet away. Remember, a good CF product is not cheap (i.e., hoods) and you get what you pay for. If you are expecting a truly perfect product (the tail light panels are excellent) for the money, you may not want to purchase the bumpers.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys. that thread on classic z site was me.

the rear bumper is nice. the front not so good. having said that, once i paint the inside of the bumper the separation between the weaves will be less visible.

point is not brilliant quality but limited to other suppliers,if any.

hi guys. that thread on classic z site was me.

the rear bumper is nice. the front not so good. having said that, once i paint the inside of the bumper the separation between the weaves will be less visible.

point is not brilliant quality but limited to other suppliers,if any.

Do you have any pics?

Also, link to the thread?

I purchased a set about a year and a half ago may be two. There is weave seperation but not as bad as rahail240 pictires show. I did paint the inside black and it is not noticeable at all. I have not finished putting my car togather so the bumpers are not on the car and I cant talk about fit. However I was disappointed in the rigitity of the product. My only experence with carbon fiber parts had been with motor cycle parts like skid plates and heat shields. The motor cycle parts were thick and solid. The bumpers are thin and flimsy like a wet noodle. I think when mounted they will work. I kept them and will be installing them over winter.