HybridZ

Picking up my first Z this week

Hey guys, I'm getting a 240z this week with the 5.7L 350cu Chevy small block in it.

I've heard that some upgrades of the rear axle are good to have and a roll cage to stiffen up the frame.

Basically, the point in this thread is what will I be doing because of the fact that there's a v8 in this car?

oh and there isn't enough space for an air filter, any suggestions for relocation/hood scoop type?

congrats on getting your first z. I just bought a 71 240 with no engine/trans, and I am doing a lot of research for a V8 swap. As far as the rear end goes, you'll have to see what the PO who did the swap did. If it has the stock r180 differential, you'll want to upgrade it to an r200 LSD and use the heavier duty axles. The stock one isn't limited slip, and also wont hold up to the abuse of a V8. A roll cage would be great, or at least some form of sub frame connectors and strut tower bracing is necessary. As far as the air filter, you could buy a universal cowl style scoop, cut a hole for the air filter in the stock hood and attach the cowl. That's what one member did on his Ford 5.0 swap, and it looks decent.

I can't say on the dif, other members should be able to help you there. you can definitely get away with a cockpit roll cage. The stock straight 6's were heavy engines, weight wise, there really isn't that much difference, maybe 100 - 150lbs. If it's a daily driver, and you won't be pushing it too hard off the line, you really don't even need a cage. Lot's of people don't add any structural support. if you're interested, Jegs does sell roll cage kits for the z. I've heard they need some modifications though.

Welcome to the board. As far as the aircleaner situation, getting a drop base 14" aircleaner, say from K&N, with a 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" base drop should fit under the hood. The rear end diff is easy. check out the drive train section here, there'a a sticky with pictures that show the difference's between the R180 and the R200 diffs> Good luck and happy motoring!

• Administrators

More than likely, the V-8 conversion was done in the JTR config, (most popular). As such, if you didn’t get the conversion manual with car, you will want to get one.

It covers the complete install including motor mounts, transmission options, trans mounts, shifter linkage, setting up the stock speedo to work with the GM trans, calibrating the tach for the V-8, how to use the stock oil pressure and water temp gauges, complete cooling section, starter and GM alternator wiring for the Z, differential options, suspension mods, even covers a little bit of Emissions for those that need to meet some DEQ requirements. Lots of pics, diagrams, etc.

Here is the book;

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Datsun_V-8.jpg

Datsun_V-8_Engine.jpg