HybridZ

Fan clutch

My car is in the shop, the mechanic said that I need a new clutch because the one on there is locked up. It just wiggles a little when you try to turn it when cold. Ok, I'm not gonna argue that it is locked up but he said since it's locked up it's only a matter of time before the clutch breaks and send the blades flying. I've never heard of that happening before, should I worry about that? Should I get a new clutch or just an electric fan? The only side effect I've heard of from a locked up fan clutch is that it cools more than neccessary.

I have a pusher fan in my garage right now, I prefer pullers but I guess it's better than nothing. I actually forgot about that until now. It's actually a reversible direction, I originally got it for the Mustang but it didn't fit. It wont fit as a puller on the Z but the opening in the front is so big it would not be a problem at all to put it in as a pusher.

you can just fix the one on the front just take the two halves apart and clean it up and fill it up with 90w gear oil....thats what i did to mine when it locked up and it works great now

Unless you have a non-rebuildable one like me...

My '71 had one that has no provision (as far as I can tell) for being opened up and rebuilt (a la blue's tech tips)

Gave me an excuse to get started on using the 14" mercury villager fan I snagged out of the JY a bit ago.

Now that I've done the CS144 alt. upgrade (thanks ktm and hizandherz). I'll have the amperage to handle the fan.

Unless you have a non-rebuildable one like me...

My '71 had one that has no provision (as far as I can tell) for being opened up and rebuilt (a la blue's tech tips)

Gave me an excuse to get started on using the 14" mercury villager fan I snagged out of the JY a bit ago.

Now that I've done the CS144 alt. upgrade (thanks ktm and hizandherz). I'll have the amperage to handle the fan.

actually any of the z cars fan clutches can be rebuilt....i dont think theyre ment to be rebuilt but it can be done....the only thing in it is some grease....and about the only reason they lock up is cause the gease dries up

Well, I guess I'm having a bit of trouble finding the part of my fan clutch that has the "grease" inside it. Mine differs visually from the one shown in blue's tech tips, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to open the clutch itself.

Four bolts allowed me to separate the clutch assembly from the fan blades itself. Beyond that, I wasn't able to find anything else to take apart. I could post pictures if you would like, or you could take my word for it.

Or....a PO could have installed an aftermarket replacement that isn't rebuildable.

Or....this is a more remote possibility....the whole fan assembly could be from some other compatible vehicle, but my hands-on knowledge of zcars is limited to the one that I have worked on - my '71.

Mine didn't really look like it could be rebuilt, but I just got a knife and slit it into a crease where it seems the two halves would meet and it popped right open.

exactly....they really dont want you to know that it can be rebuilt cause if you know then they wouldnt make a 100 dollars a pop on them....if it was put together at one time by someone it can be taken apart...