HybridZ

Trouble installing drive shaft

cholag

Hello, I have a 1983 280zxt, I just finsihed dropping my motor in and I also decided to do the 5speed swap while the motor and auto trans where out. The trans I went with was a BW T-5 out of a 83 zxt, now when I was trying to install the auto drive shaft it seems to be a little on the long side. So I was wondering, if anyone knew off the top of there head, if the auto drive shaft is longer then the BW drive shaft. Also I will be measuring the auto drive shaft when I get home and post the measurments on here as well.

I'm currently using the auto driveshaft and it has slightly less than 1/2" before bottoming out. The only issue I have thus far is it leaks pretty badly even with a brand new proper SKF seal with the big metal collar. I did notice a groove in the slip joint part that looked like it was caused by the seal in the auto tranny so with my luck it falls right on the new seal.

I suppose under hard acceleration the engine does shift toward the rear somewhat but surely there's not enough movement to eat up 1/2" of shaft? :hs:

But how did you get the shaft in there, its such a tight fit, also if you say that it leaks badly then I might just call up z barn and see how much a turbo drive shaft would be. Also I am not using the metal collar on my car only because the rebuild kit I bought for my trans didnt come with one.

But how did you get the shaft in there, its such a tight fit, also if you say that it leaks badly then I might just call up z barn and see how much a turbo drive shaft would be. Also I am not using the metal collar on my car only because the rebuild kit I bought for my trans didnt come with one.

It was a bit tight but I got it in there without any elfin magic. To be honest, I got this tranny for a cheap way to get the car going and if I start having to spend more money on it I'll probably move to a z32 or 240sx tranny.